CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1229016
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1229016 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 13:35:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP AND ST JAMES, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Witton-le-Wear
National Grid Reference:
NZ 14784 31286

Details

CROOK AND WILLINGTON HIGH STREET NZ 1431 (North side) Witton-le-Wear 41/31 Church of St.Philip and St. James

GV II

Parish church. 1896-1902 rebuilding of medieval church by C. Hodgson Fowler. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of plain tiles has stone gable copings, cross finials and bellcote. Porch roof of Welsh slates. Nave, north aisle and south porch; chancel and north vestry. Open 2-centred arch with hollow-moulded broach-stopped reveal contains moulded arch on half-octagonal shafts. Perpendicular tracery in 3-light window to left of porch and two 2- light windows to right; 3-light and 2-light chancel windows also traceried; all square-headed. 2-centred-arched paired 2-light west windows separated by large buttress and 3-light east window on stepped string with drip-mould; 2-light aisle windows. Roof with overlapping nave gable copings and flat chancel gable coping on gabled kneelers; west gabled bellcote.

Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings; nave has king-post barrel-vaulted boarded roof; chancel has painted wood barrel vault. 3-bay arcade has double- chamfered C13 arches on round piers with octagonal capitals; high square plinths inserted to accommodate change in floor level. Circa 1900 chancel arch with Tudor flowers on outer chamfer; battlemented capitals on hollow-chamfered half- columns. Similar chamfers to 2-centred organ chamber and vestry door. Tiled sanctuary floor. Low segmental arches, rere arches and alternate-block jambs to north and south windows; 2-centred rere arch to east and west windows. C19 Frosterley marble octagonal font. Gothic-style memorial in stone on north chancel wall to Rev. George Newby, died 1846, signed W.D. Keyworth, Hull. White marble memorial slab on south chancel wall to Elizabeth Jane Wilkinson of Harperley Hall, died 1842, with 2 stanzas of verse. Windows, most said to have been designed by Rev. Hodgson, include portraits of donors; one has Hodgson and his wife with house and church in background. Medieval grave slabs set in porch: one a cross on triangular base;one half-slab a leafy cross; one with 2 crosses and sword and shears.

Source H. Conyers Surtees, The History of the Parish of Witton-le-Wear, 1924.

Listing NGR: NZ1478431286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403779
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Conyers Surtees, H , The History of the Parish of Witton le Wear, (1924)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00647/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].