CHURCH OF ST PAUL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1236096.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 04:57:21.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Gedling (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 57966 45158
GEDLING MANSFIELD ROAD
SK 54 NE
4/56 Church of St. Paul
Parish church. 1892-6, designed by J. L. Pearson and paid for by
Sir Charles Seely. Coursed and squared rubble with plain tile
roofs. Ashlar dressings. C13 Geometrical and C14 styles.
Chamfered and moulded plinths, sill bands, string courses and
eaves bands. Billeted corbel table. Coped gables, some with
gabled kneelers and crosses. Single side wall stack. Windows
are Geometrical lancets with hood moulds, mostly linked. All
except clerestorey and vestries have stained glass by Clayton and
Bell. South west tower, nave, north and south aisles, north
porch, chancel, north chapel, north transept, vestries, lady
chapel. South west tower, 3 stages, has 3 pairs of setback
buttresses and to north west, canted stair turret. First stage
has to south, traceried panel containing moulded doorway with
crocketed finial. Above, 3 lancets East and west sides have a
double lancet. Second stage has recessed panels with corbel
tables, each with 2 round windows. To west, ornate bracket
clock. Third stage has on each side 2 double lancets with
crocketed gables, separated by pilaster with gabled niche and
figure. Above, octagonal broach spire with 4 spired pinnacles
and cross finial. 4 gabled double lancet lucarnes. Nave west
end has 2 gabled flanking buttresses, each with niche containing
figure. 6 light lancet with Y tracery. Gable has 8 stepped
gabled niches with brackets for figures. Clerestorey, 4 bays,
has on each side 3 buttresses and 4 quadruple lancets. East end
has gabled bell turret with 2 openings. Buttressed north and
south aisles have coped parapets and gables. Each has 3 double
lancets. North aisle west end has 5 light lancet and diagonal
buttress. North porch has 2 pairs of corner buttresses. Moulded
doorway with clustered filleted shafts. On each side, 2 small
double lancets. Interior has stone benches, principal rafter
roof and cove moulded doorway with shafts. Chancel north side
has to east, 2 triple lancets. East end has 2 flanking
buttresses and 7 light lancet with Y tracery. Lean-to north
chapel has triple lancet at east end. North transept and organ
chamber has to north, a lancet and above, double lancet. L-plan
vestry has to west, double lancet and to north, triple lancet
with segmental head. To east, a similar quadruple lancet. In
return angle, a doorway. Parapeted Lady Chapel has single
buttress to west. East end has triple lancet. South side has 3
double lancets. Vaulted south porch, below tower, has moulded
ribs and corner shafts. Stone benches. Moulded inner doorway
with shafts. Nave has 4 bay arcades with round piers, each with
4 ringed shafts. Lobed capitals. Octagonal and round responds.
Chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Continuous sill
band. Arch braced principal rafter roof with traceried panelled
gables. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with traceried
arch braces. Chancel has moulded arch with hood mould and
clustered ringed shafts. Dwarf wall carrying traceried iron
screen with pair of gates. Sill band. Panelled vaulted ceiling.
North side has to left, tall shafted opening containing traceried
iron screen and organ. To its right, opening with iron screen.
To right again, C14 style cusped tomb recess with crocketed
gable, containing chest tomb and effigy of Emily Seely, 1894, by
Brock. East end has blind arcading and central alabaster gradine
and reredos, C14 style, with crocketed canopy and figures. South
side has 3 bay arcade with clustered shafts and iron screens.
East bay has C14 style piscina and sedilia with crocketed gabled
canopies. North chapel has pair of iron gates. Lady Chapel has
panelled barrel vaulted ceiling and sill band. Fittings include
octagonal font with traceried panelled bowl, and matching pulpit
with traceried figure panels. Brass eagle lectern. 4 altar
posts and hangings, with angel finials, 1936. Monuments include
moulded wooden War Memorial tablet with crucifix, 1919.
Listing NGR: SK5796645158
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26953
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing