THE DANISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1245872
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
THE DANISH CHURCH, ST KATHERINES PRECINCT

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DANISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245872.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:42:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE DANISH CHURCH, ST KATHERINES PRECINCT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28647 83280

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2883SE ST KATHARINE'S PRECINCT 798-1/82/1517 (East side) 10/06/54 The Danish Church (Formerly Listed as: ST KATHARINE'S PRECINCT The Danish Church, No.4 (The Pastor's House), No.5 (St Katharine's Hall))

GV II*

St Katharine's College Chapel, now the Danish Lutheran Church in London. 1826-1828. By Ambrose Poynter. For the Royal Hospital of St Katharine. Restored 1969. Grey brick with stone dressings; west end with stone facing. Tall, collegiate type chapel in Perpendicular style of 7 bays. Attached to and flanking the church, No.4 The Pastor's House and No.5 St Katharine's Hall (qv). EXTERIOR: west end gabled with octagonal corner turrets having arrow slit windows, enriched above the roof line and terminating in spires. Pointed arch doorway with wooden door and square-headed label with enriched spandrels and stops. Above this, a tall 7-light traceried window. A hexagonal clock surmounted by a crown and flanked by coats of arms in the apex of the facade. North and south facades with a high, tall 3-light traceried window to each bay, above which the cornice and blocking course. East end with similar traceried window to west end. INTERIOR: simple and whitewashed, with two figures of Moses and John the Baptist late C17 by Caius Cibber brought from the former Danish Seamen's Mission in Commercial Road E14; former church fittings and monuments dispersed c1950 between the Tower of London and St Katharine's Foundation, Butcher Row E14. HISTORICAL NOTE: St Katharine's College Chapel was built to replace a chapel forming part of the religious hospice, founded in 1148 by Queen Matilda and later known as the Hospital of St Katharine, on a site next to the Tower of London; in 1825 the original site was made into St Katharine's Dock. The patronage of the chapel had always rested with the Queen of England; Queen Alexandra, Danish wife of King Edward VII, granted it to the Danish community in London. (Survey of London: Vol. XIX, Old St Pancras and Kentish Town, St Pancras II: London: -1938: 101-115).





Listing NGR: TQ2864783281

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477947
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Old St Pancras and Kentish Town The Parish of St Pancras Part 2: Volume 19 , (1938), 101-115

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13020/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tom Cronin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].