This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1246392



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Shrewsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 455052

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ4912SE ABBEY FOREGATE 653-1/16/56 (North side) 10/01/53 Abbey Church of the Holy Cross


Abbey church. Plan and substantial elements of the structure late C11-early C12, extensively restored and rebuilt by JL Pearson c1860, following earlier C19 restoration. Red sandstone, coursed and squared, with ashlar facing to much of the new work. PLAN: west tower, nave with 3 aisles, transepts and transept chapels, chancel. EXTERIOR: massive 3-stage west tower, the masonry largely original, but the door, with deep moulded Transitional-style archway, and 7-light late Decorated-style window above, renewed in the earlier C19 restoration. Ogee hoodmould over window, which reaches string course separating 2nd and 3rd stages of tower. Angle pilasters have niches with statues at 2nd stage. Paired bellchamber lights in upper stage, each side of central statue in niche. Brick embattled parapet above. Decorated-style windows in north and south walls of tower form part of the clerestory-window range. Aisles largely original masonry, with C19 parapets and late Decorated style tracery in 3-light windows, restored. Small section of medieval north aisle to west of porch, with two 3-light Decorated windows and narrow round-arched doorway. 2-storey porch largely Perpendicular, possibly incorporating earlier structure: the cylindrical responds are apparently C12, though the rest of the doorway is late medieval, with square moulded outer archway with quatrefoil spandrels. Enriched timber door dated 1640. 2 tiers of 2-light windows above, with mutilated hoodmoulds, flanked by niches. Aisle includes substantial remains of original construction, including much of the lower walls and a string course. The windows are late Decorated and inserted, and the 3 cross gables of the roof are probably C15 or C16, replacing the original lean-to roof over the aisle. Triforium largely the work of Pearson, filling in original plain round-arched arcade with banded red and white sandstone, and paired Early English-style windows. Clerestorey also as renewed by Pearson in a Romanesque style. Corbel table also C19. Transept refaced and partly rebuilt by Pearson, truncating the original line of the building which is marked by a blind full-height archway in the north wall, with paired plate traceried windows. Stumps of original east and west walls are visible, that to west continuing beyond the present building line, and incorporating the remains of a window. Transept chapel and chancel entirely as rebuilt by Pearson, the chancel having narrow Early English-style lancet windows high up in north, south and east walls. South side follows the same general scheme as north, the westernmost bays later medieval and restored, the easternmost C11 or C12 with modifications by Pearson according to the same design as the north wall. South doorway incorporates responds with cushion capitals from a C12 door, but has been restored. INTERIOR: substantial remains of original building visible, showing evidence of 3 principal building phases: original C11-C12 phase, extended westward in C13 or C14, and extensively restored in later C19. Western bays largely the result of C13-C14 work: high tower arch with clustered shafts to responds. 2 westernmost bays of arcade are Decorated with clustered shafts to responds, and deep moulding to capitals and arches. Decorated windows in triforium. Remains of earlier arcade and clerestorey also visible. Wide buttressed pier, then 3 bays of Norman work, with simple double ring round arches carried on massive cylindrical shafts. Round-arched triforium arcade, infilled by Pearson. Romanesque style clerestorey above, also by Pearson, round-headed windows with recessed shafts and deep splayed arches. Responds at east end of arcade have triple shafts on squared bases and cushion capitals. Aisles contain cylindrical shafts with cushion capitals which formerly carried vaulting for roofs which are now largely timber structures. High plain round-arched presbytery arch with plain responds. Cylindrical shafts on quared bases to transept arches, by Pearson. Similar moulding to chancel arch, which springs from corbels. Rib vaulting over apsidal east end also carried on paired corbels. Shouldered arches to lancet windows in east end. Small east chapels each side of transepts, with groin vaulted ceilings, by Pearson. FITTINGS: many of the furnishings date from the Restoration, including the pulpit and the font canopy, and the altar piece, a triptych with hinged traceried panels. STAINED GLASS: in east window also later C19, in a medieval idiom. Armorial glass in west window, and collage of fragments in clerestory earlier, though probably re-assembled. MEMORIALS: series of tombs reflect the long history of the building, including worn effigy of Roger de Montgomery its founder, and the recumbent figure of a priest in the south aisle, and 3 monuments in the west end of the north aisle, showing the development of style in 3 pairs of recumbent figures on bases, dated 1544, 1571 & 1612. A number of other effigies in the south aisle are not in situ. There is also a long series of wall tablets, spanning from the mid C17 to the early C19. In the north aisle, the remains of the C14 shrine of St Winefred, which were erected here in 1933, and comprise 2 sections of wall with traceried panels and some figures of saints in niches. HISTORICAL NOTE: Shrewsbury Abbey was founded by Roger de Montgomery c1080 as a Benedictine House. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1858-).

Listing NGR: SJ4984412475

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SJ 49844 12474


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 12:45:07.

End of official listing