CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1250904
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250904.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:12:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Atworth
National Grid Reference:
ST 86045 63208

Details

ATWORTH GREAT CHALFIELD ST 86 SE (east side) 4/61 Church of All Saints 13.11.62 GV I

Anglican parish church. C14, C15, late C18, restored 1914 by C.H. Biddulph-Pinchard. Rubble stone, stone slate roof with coped verges. Plan: Nave, chancel, south chapel and vestry, west bellcote over entrance. Moulded pointed west doorway within gabled stone canopy on brackets, ledged door, 3-light C19 Perpendicular- style window over, square C15 bellcote on corbel table with 2-light pointed openings, string course to battlemented parapet and short crocketed octagonal spire with moulded finial. North side of nave has chamfered lancet, pair of large buttresses on north east corner of nave, one added 1719. Ashlar chancel has C19 two-light square- headed window with cusped lights, east end has 3-light C19 Perpendicular-style window, buttress with offsets to left. Vestry has C19 Perpendicular-style east window, pointed door on south side, and ashlar stack. Gabled south chapel, c.1480 by Thomas Tropnell with 3-light Perpendicular restored south window. No windows on south side of nave. Interior: Nave has C15 arch-braced collar rafter roof with three chamfered tie-beams; flagstone floors; late C19 pews replacing box pews; the latter reused as dado panelling. Late C17 polygonal pulpit with reader's desk given by John Hall, tester of 1765; C13 cylindrical stone font. Tropnell Chapel with moulded pointed arch to nave filled by carved stone screen with vine carving on coving and five heraldic shields of Tropnell arms, crested top. C15 pointed barrel-vaulted ceiling with heraldic arms on the bosses; remains of paintings of life of St Katherine on west wall; cusped piscina on south wall. C19 moulded pointed chancel arch with good 1914 carved wooden screen; arch-braced collar-rafter roof; ogee piscina on north wall; late C17 communion rails with turned balusters; choir stalls include one C17 with poppy heads, rest are copies. Vestry and organ chamber, formerly Neale family chapel added 1775, moulded round arch on compound pilasters with unfinished capitals through to Tropnell chapel; screen between vestry and chancel brought from Godstone, Surrey in 1912; painted organ case to designs by Biddulph-Pinchard and executed by Miss Maurice. On south wall is stone tablet with raised date 1775 and initials RN, presumably those of Robert Neale and commemorating building of his chapel. Some reset C15 stained glass in the west window. Thomas Tropnell, the builder of the chapel, also built Great Chalfield Manor (q.v.) c1470. The church stands within the moat surrounding the house and the whole is reached by a bridge; an important late Medieval group. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Great Chalfield Manor Guide, 1986).

Listing NGR: ST8605363207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433410
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Floyd, R, Great Chalfield Manor, (1986)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00471/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].