This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HAWKSWORTH HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAWKSWORTH HALL

List entry Number: 1251067

Location

HAWKSWORTH HALL, HAWKSWORTH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433659

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AIREBOROUGH HAWKSWORTH LANE SE 14 SE LS 20 (north side) Guiseley 4/51 Hawksworth Hall 19.10.1962 - II*

Large house, now residential school. Built by the Hawksworth family, probably in the early C16, with large additions in mid to later C17, alterations in C18; dated 1611 internally and 1664 on chimney of east wing, with re-located datestone "1669" in kitchen to rear of this wing. Coursed dressed sandstone (coursed squared rubble at rear), stone slate roofs. Composite plan, comprising original hall-and-cross-wings house on east-west axis, with added hall-range on same axis to the east, and 2 crosswings to east end of this. Two storeys; long and irregular facade with original east crosswing (now slightly left of centre), altered as porch and entrance hall; left of this the surviving features of the original hall range are a recessed mullioned window of 5 round-headed lights at 1st floor, and a 2-storey gabled bay (or oriel) in the angle with the west wing; this bay has dripmoulds on 2 levels, remains of pilasters at ground floor (C18 window between these), at 1st floor a transomed 5-light window with round-headed upper lights, and ridge gable coping with kneelers and an apex finial. The additions to the right are a longer hall range flush with the unequally-gabled 2 east wings, which have gable coping with kneelers, (that to inner ridged). The principal C18 alterations are the addition of a 2-storey canted bay to the front of the west wing, with a hipped roof; a pedimented doorway to the former east wing, with cornice on scrolled brackets run out over side windows; and vertical rectangular windows with moulded architraves, that over the door with a cornice over it, mostly 16-pane sashes, but those on the outer east wing cross-windows with arched lights (probably C19). The masonry of the main range incoporates the jambs of some former windows. The return wall of the west wing has a large external chimney stack. The return wall of the east wing, which is longer, has blocked former windows on 3 levels towards the front, a high chamfered plinth interrupted by later openings, and at 1st floor of the further end two 3-light mullioned windows with round-headed lights. The rear has, inter alia, a large external chimney stack towards the west end of the original hall, a tripartite stair window in the gable of the original east wing, and multiple-light mullioned windows at 1st floor beneath the eaves on either side of this.

Interior; principal feature of interest is Great Chamber at 1st floor of original hall which has a segmental-vaulted ceiling with elaborate moulded plaster geometric decoration of squares and diamonds with vine pattern and central pendant, the tympanum at the west end containing the royal coat of arms and that at the east end the Hawksworth arms and date 1611, the arms flanked respectively by figures of Temperancia, Fortitudo, Prudentia and Iustitia; cornice and frieze with griffons and masks, muntin-and-rail panelling; and a large moulded Tudor-arched stone fireplace in the rear wall, with wooden surround of fluted pliasters and arcaded overmantel. In the east wing, C17 panelling in several rooms and contemporary staircase; in entrance hall, C18 open-well staircase with open string and 2 balusters per tread; various panelled doors with shouldered architraves.

References: RCHM West Yorks, pp64, 73, 96, and 198, RCHM Report in West Yorks Arch. Unit, Wakefield.

Listing NGR: SE1690341692

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Giles, C, Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830, (1986), 64,73,96
Giles, C, Rural Houses of West Yorkshire 1400-1830, (1986), 198

National Grid Reference: SE 16903 41692

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251067 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 09:27:49.

End of official listing