Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1251097

Date first listed: 23-May-1967



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Mar-2019 at 01:56:18.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Teston

National Grid Reference: TQ 70551 53506


CHURCH STREET TQ 75 SW TESTON (South Side) 2/247 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 23.5.67 GV II*

Parish church. Rebuilt 1736 for Sir Philip Boteler. Alterations of 1848. Roughly coursed galleted ragstone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. Wood shingles to spire. Cruciform, with west tower. West tower: 2 stages. Red and grey brick parapet with ashlar dressings, above ashlar plat band. Octagonal spire with weathervane. Round-arched louvred belfry windows with keystones. Smaller rounded-arched window with keystone, to base of upper stage. Narrow round-headed window to low sections in angles between tower and nave. Recessed panelled double doors to west in proud eared and shouldered stone architrave surmounted by rectangular fanlight with moulded stone cornice. Architrave hinged on each side for outer doors. Nave: south-west buttress. Stone-coped gable ends with moulded stone kneelers. Two round-headed windows with proud stone architraves, plain imposts, and keystones. South transept: flanking gable buttresses. Stone-coped gable with moulded kneelers. Mid C19 south and west windows. East window similar to nave windows. South doorway similar to west doorway; but with ashlar panel in place of fanlight. Small round-headed panelled door to east with bevelled stone architrave. Small iron oven? door to base of south side. Chancel: flanking gable buttresses. Stone- coped gable with moulded kneelers. Single-light C19 windows to north and south, C19 three-light east window. Memorial tablet with shallow cornice and consoles to east end, to Revd. James Ramsay, d.1789. North transept: gabled as rest. No east window. C19 west light. 3-light C19 north window with moulded stone cill extending across gable end below it. East doorway and north doorway as in south transept. Nave: north elevation: west end buttress. Coped gable. Two windows similar to south windows. Interior: structure: entrance lobby under tower with channelled render to walls, and plastered quadripartite vault springing from bell corbels. Large blocked round-headed window between nave and ringing chamber of tower, with proud stone architrave, imposts and keystone. Internal north and south doorways to transepts to same design as external doorways. Roof: canted and boarded throughout. Fittings: 2-light medieval window with trefoil-headed lights and un-traceried pointed arch re-set as sedile in south wall of chancel. Medieval stone aumbry with chamfered segmental head to west of sedile. Blocked window with triangular head to north wall of chancel. Wooden reredos of circa 1736, extending across east end, with broad central panel flanked by fluted engaged Corinthian columns and surmounted by dentilled and moulded open-topped triangular pediment. Fluted Corinthian pilasters and dentilled and moulded cornice to four side panels. Eared and shouldered central panel with Ten Commandments, outer panels with texts, Creed and Lord's Prayer. Hexagonal C18 pulpit with inlaid fielded panels, moulded base and cornice, and turned balusters to stairs. Octagonal stone font. Iron heating grille with fretwork design running up centre of nave and across transepts. Royal Arms to east wall of north transept, signed and dated John Adams 1811. Six funeral hatchments to nave. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).

Listing NGR: TQ7042453504


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 433710

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

End of official listing