RUSHPOOL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251344
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1975
Statutory Address:
RUSHPOOL HALL, SALTBURN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUSHPOOL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:16:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
RUSHPOOL HALL, SALTBURN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Skelton and Brotton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 66544 20541

Details

NZ 62 SE SKELTON & BROTTON SALTBURN LANE (off west side,) Skelton

1/36 Rushpool Hall 8.10.75 G.V. II*

Mansion, now hotel, 1862-63, for John Bell, ironmaster. Interior partly remodelled after fire damage 1904/05, by T.M. Bottomley (Middlesbrough). Rockfaced Cleveland ironstone with sandstone ashlar dressings inlaid with slate ornament. Plain clay tiled roofs. High Victorian Gothic. 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical; 5 bays to entrance front (south). The middle bay a projecting 3-stage tower over porch, with round-headed doorway in chamfered, pointed opening with foliate capitals to responds. Ornate metal lanterns on posts flank the doorway. Oriel window to middle stage, enriched with carving. Tripartite upper-stage windows. Crocketed finials at angles of straight parapet, and metal ridge cresting on tall hipped roof. Coupled octagonal stacks at north-east angle. 2-storey canted bay window to left-end bay. All windows grouped pointed sashes. Ornamental shields above ground-floor windows, quatrefoils above first-floor windows. Sill strings and string courses between floors. Straight parapet; crowstepped gable to right end. Steeply-pitched hipped and gabled roofs have tall stacks and enriched roof dormers of varied form. Lower 2-storey service wing, adjoining right end is similar, with 6 pointed openings (middle 2 blank) below canted first-floor oriel. Straight parapet, ornamented stack at right end, and enriched roof dormers. 4-bay garden front (north) has tripartite windows on each floor, except for wider 2-storey half-octagonal right-hand bay with roof dormers to half-pyramidal roof. Chamfered left angle has first-floor balcony with pierced front. Circular 3-stage tower adjoins north-west angle, and has broad bands between stages, bracketed, pierced parapet, and tall conical roof with gablets. Renewed conservatory in keeping adjoins west end, To west of mansion: retaining wall of terrace with pierced parapet, gargoyles, and stair flights at north and south ends, forms frontage to basement Roman bath and contains remains of grotto with quasi-Tuscan columns at south end. Well-preserved interior retains large staircase hall with open stair and gallery, and baroque fireplace of 1897; panelled ceilings with thick raised borders and ornamented cornices. Series of Moorish arches lead to conservatory retaining original tiled pavement. Oak-panelled first-floor billiard room; many carved marble fireplaces retained throughout. Modern fittings blend with original. Tiled Roman bath with ancilliary rooms, at lower level beneath terrace and conservatory.

Listing NGR: NZ6654420541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
432756
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].