CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251763
Date first listed:
17-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251763.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 09:53:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Horncastle
National Grid Reference:
TF 26137 69528

Details

TF 2669 HORNCASTLE QUEEN STREET (east side)

7/83A Congretional Chapel and 17.10.86 attached Sunday School

G.V. II

Congregational chapel and attached Sunday School. 1821, 1874. C20. Red brick, limestone ashlar dressings, some stock brick. Hipped concrete tile roof, double ridge slate roofs. Chapel of 1821 to north. 2 storey, 3 bay north front with central doorway with inner double plank doors with ornate traceried overlight above. Ashlar plaque above, inscribed: 'Independent Chapel'. Single glazing bar sashes flank doorway. 3 glazing bar sashes above. All the windows with segmental heads. 2 storey, 3 bay west side with blind opening to left and 2 blocked openings to right. Blind opening above to left, with 2 blocked openings to right; all with segmental heads. Sunday School of 1874 set back to right with 2 storey, 3 bay west front with ashlar first floor band inscribed: 'Rebuilt 1874'; and stock brick quoins to south corner. Central doorway with semi-circular ashlar dressed head with raised keystone, plain fanlight and double plank doors. Plaque above inscribed: 'Independent Sunday School, 1825'. Doorway flanked by single windows with 3 windows above, all with ashlar dressed semi-circular heads, raised keystones and plain sashes with margin lights 2 storey, 5 bay south front with doorway to left with concrete lintel and plank door. 4 plain sashes to right with 4 plain sashes above, all with segmental heads and margin lights. In each of the 2 gables of the double ridge roof is a single, ashlar dressed keyed oculus. Chapel interior with gallery of 1821 intact with fielded panelled front, slender supporting iron columns and 2 delicate staircases with slender bannisters with wave panelling and moulded handrail. Ceiling with central round panel with bold acanthus leaf decoration. Tiered pine panelled pews upstairs with hinged doors and raking bench ends. Pews below of 1874. 3 white marble monuments on black marble fields, to: The Reverend John Pain, died 1844; Jane Wood, died 1853 and Thomas Meredith, died 1858.

Listing NGR: TF2614069520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434559
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/04126/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].