CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251819
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251819 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 21:20:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Mansfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 52697 65081

Details

MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE CHURCH LANE SK 56 NW PLEASLEY VALE (south side) 1/19 Church of St. Chad II Parish church. 1881. For Joseph Paget. Coursed squared rubble and brick, with slate roof. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth, sill band, bargeboards, gables with crosses. Windows are leaded chamfered lancets. Nave, chancel, north porch, north and south transepts. Bell turret. Buttressed nave, 5 bays, has to north 4 lancets and above, 3 gabled trefoiled dormers. West end has C13 style triple lancet with timber tracery and hood mould. South side has 5 lancets and above, 3 plain dormers. Bell turret, to west, octagonal, has patterned leaded base, pointed bell openings, conical leaded and slated roof with weathercock. Single bay chancel has to east, triple lancet with hood mould, and above, a blind lancet. On each side, a trefoiled gable. Buttressed north porch has to north a pointed doorway with hood mould. Single bay north transept has a lancet to north. Similar south transept has a lancet to south and above, a blind lancet. Outside, linked ashlar steps with 4 ashlar piers with square domed caps. Saddleback coped balustrade. Porch interior has wooden benches, fitted wardrobe and common rafter roof. Nave has matchboarded dado and scissor braced crown post roof. Matchboard lining and moulded wall plate. West window has stained glass inscribed 'To the Glory of God and in thankful remembrance of March 19 1861'. Chancel has timber screen, with traceried panels and rood. Roof similar to nave. East end has elaborate C14 style timber panelling with moulded crest, framing large painted canvas panels. Above, crest and panels with painted text. 3 icons in C14 style surrounds. Vestry in north transept has no architectural features. Organ chamber in south transept has 2 framed painted canvas panels. Fittings include octagonal font on chamfered base, with inscribed panel. Wooden cover with flying buttresses and cross finial. Bracketed wrought iron lectern. Wrought iron skeleton pulpit with C20 infill panels. Altar rail with wrought iron stands. Framed pitch pine seats with trefoiled ends. Matching stalls with bookstands on wrought iron legs. Memorials include Roll of Honour, 1914. Brass referring to bell, 1955. Brass inscribed 'In memory of the servants of God Jospeh Paget of Stuffynwood Hall and Helen Elizabeth his wife builders of this curch.' This building is reputed to have been first erected in Stuffynwood, Derbyshire in 1861 and removed to this site in 1881.

Listing NGR: SK5269765081

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434655
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/13034/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mollie Toy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].