THE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251881
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 06:37:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TOWN HALL, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Rye
National Grid Reference:
TQ 92151 20332

Details

1. 1578 MARKET STREET

The Town Hall TQ 9220 1/29 12.10.51.

II* GV

2. 1742-1743. Architect Andrew Jelfe. 2 storey and attic. 5 windows. Red brick with Portland stone dressings, long and short quoins, string course above ground floor and cornice with modillions above the 1st floor. High brick parapet with its own cornice, stone caps at the ends and the coat of arms of Rye, also in Portland stone, in the centre surmounted by a broken pediment. Cupola in the centre of the roof. Windows set in surrounds of Portland stone with segmental heads and keystones over. The ground floor forms a kind of narthex, originally open with an arcade of square Portland stone columns, and arches with keystones over them, but 2 of the bays have been filled in, the centre one to contain the fire engine and the eastern most one to form the Magistrates' Room. 2 doorways in the arcade lead to the Council Chamber above, that in the westernmost bay having fluted Doric pilasters and entablature, that in the easternmost bay, which is still open, having plain pilasters and a round arch. Panelled Council Chamber on the 1st floor. Small attic rooms above. On the 1st floor of the staircase wing at the back is a Portland stone sundial dated 1831.

Durrant House. Nos 3 to 7 (consec). Town Hall and La Rochelle, East Street form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ9214720330

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434752
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04989/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].