HARTSHORN HOUSE THE LINK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251959
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Aug-1968
Statutory Address:
HARTSHORN HOUSE, 31, MERMAID STREET
Statutory Address:
THE LINK, MERMAID STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARTSHORN HOUSE
THE LINK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 14:24:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARTSHORN HOUSE, 31, MERMAID STREET
Statutory Address:
THE LINK, MERMAID STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Rye
National Grid Reference:
TQ 91956 20280

Details

1. 1578 MERMAID STREET (North Side)

TQ 9120 1/122 12.10.51 No 31 (Hartshorn House). 8.8.68. The Link.

II" (NO 31) GV II

2. This was built as a private house and the name dates only from the Napoleonic wars, when the house was used as a hospital. The front portion is a C15 timber-framed house of which many of the timbers have been renewed. The 1st floor overhangs on brackets shaped like a double volute. 3 gables added in the C16 (one dated 1576) carried on curved coving and brackets. Tiled roof. Modern easement windows. At the west end of the house is a passageway through the house on the ground floor with a wrought iron gate. The VCH says that there is a C16 wing behind and that the house has a stone vaulted cellar, Tudor fireplaces and C18 panelling. To the east is an C18 house which has been rebuilt in modern times and is now used as the service wing of the Old Hospital. This has 2 storeys and 3 windows. Red brick and grey headers. Wooden cornice and tiled roof, all renewed. 6-panel moulded door. There is another mediaeval cellar beneath this house.

All the listed buildings in Mermaid Street form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ9195620280

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434850
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04989/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].