CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1253508
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1965
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253508.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 05:10:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Horwood, Lovacott and Newton Tracey
National Grid Reference:
SS 52939 26879

Details

NEWTON TRACEY NEWTON TRACEY SS 52 NW 3/36 Church of St Thomas of - Canterbury (formerly listed as Church 25.2.65 of St Thomas a Becket) GV II*

Parish church. C13 fabric to chancel and nave, the latter remodelled in C15 when the tower was added. Restored 1867-8 by R. D. Gould, when the C13 north aisle was entirely rebuilt. Roughly coursed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable end to chancel with kneeler gablets and apex cross. West tower, nave, chancel and north aisle. West tower of 3 stages, unbuttressed with embattled parapet. 4-centred arched heads to 2-light bell-openings on each face, 1 of the lights infilled to each side, with louvres to the other. Single semi-circular headed light with slate louvres to east side, second stage, under continuous dripmould. Perpendicular C15 west window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with iron stanchions and saddle bars above round-arched west doorway with roll-cavetto moulded surround with rams horns stops to the base of the jambs. Small shield above and crests to the labelled hoodmould. Gabled south porch with wrought iron apex cross and pointed arched inner and outer doorways, that to inner doorway has hollow-moulded surround and pyramid stops to the base of the jambs. Perpendicular pointed arched 3-light window to right with hoodmould. 2 lancets to chancel south side and single lancet to north side, rebuilt in C19. C19 3-light stepped lancet window at east end. C19 2 trefoil-headed light window to vestry east side and C19 lancets, 2 of 2 lights and 1 single light to north aisle. 2-light lancet at west end of north aisle with quatrefoil traceried head. Interior: unmoulded pointed arch arcade of 2 bays with central circular pier. C19 ceiled waggon roof to nave and single triple-roll moulded arch braced truss to ceiled chancel roof with medieval wall plates with carved decoration. Steeply pointed unmoulded chancel arch. C19 shoulderheaded piscina to north wall of chancel. Some medieval Barnstaple floor tiles remain in north aisle. C19/C20 nave furnishings. C13 font of block-capital shape with stiff-leaf decoration at the corners and cable moulding to the waist. Stained glass to east window, 1901, and to south nave window to John Dennis of Kennacott killed Flanders 1914.

Listing NGR: SS5293926879

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436741
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00256/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].