Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253648

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1994



Ordnance survey map of WOODHEAD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253648 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 00:13:15.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)

Parish: Cheadle

National Grid Reference: SK 02484 44804


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1663-0/6/10001 Woodhead Hall


Country house; used as Government Communications Establishment, CSOS Cheadle. Dated 1873, by William Sugden of Leek and built for William Allen, a Manchester merchant; late C20 extensions. Flemish bond red brick with stone dressings. Slate hipped roof with lead roll hips and ridge and moulded stone modillion cornice. Brick axial stacks with stone strings and caps. PLAN: Large double-depth plan house with central stairhall. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellar. Symmetrical 2:2:2 bay south front, the centre with pediment breaks forward; pediment contains oval plaque inscribed WSA:1873:EPA. Ground floor 2-light sashes in slightly advance pilastered bays with colonnettes, moulded extrados and balustrades above. Steps up to similarly decorated central doorway with side lights and columns and large shaped stone brackets supporting balustraded balcony. First floor sashes with moulded stone eared architraves with cills on small brackets. All sashes without glazing bars. Stone weathering to plinth and four stringcourses continuing around the house. Rear north has wide pedimented centre bay with 3-light bay on the ground floor, canted above and flanked by narrow 2-storey square bays. The west side has three canted 2-storey bays. The elaborate twisted cast-iron drainpipes are C20 facsimiles of the originals. West and north elevations have C20 single-storey extensions. INTERIOR is largely intact and is richly decorated. Entrance vestibule has Ionic arcaded screen to large rectangular central stairhall with fine timber staircase with moulded balusters and string, panelled soffit and newels with ball finials; the balustrade continues around the landing which has an arcade at the east end with Jacobean style columns; moulded cornice, panelled coving and large rectangular lantern. The principal rooms have moulded plaster ceilings and pilastered window architraves with shutters, but most of the chimneypieces have been removed. Back staircase in east side of house has moulded balusters. NOTE: The house is said to be on the site of a house built in 1720, the cellar of which survives below the existing house.

Listing NGR: SK0248444804


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436898

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing