Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253993.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 12:03:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 91981 07478


SS 90 NW CADELEIGH 5/53 Outbuilding at Cadeleigh Court II House, in use as outbuilding. Circa 1700, possibly a remodelling of an earlier building. Dressed local sandstone brought to course with ashlar dressings; corrugated iron roof, hipped at ends; projecting rear lateral stack with truncated shaft, left end stack and 2 axial stacks with dismantled shafts. Plan : Long single depth range, 4 rooms wide on a west-east axis, built on a sloping site with the result that the south elevation is taller than the north. The plan form is puzzling and interpertation is made difficult because "none of the interior partitions is certainly original" (Silvester and Richardson), and the position of the original doorway or doorways is not clear. The left (east) end room has what appears to be a kitchen fireplace of a C17 date while the room second from left was heated by the lateral stack on the south wall and may have been the hall. The stack of the right (west) end room projects into the putative hall and is probably a subsequent modification while both the partition walls of the first room from the left appear to be C19 including the former axial stack. Nothing of the original roof survives and it is not clear whether any of the openings on the south side are original. Nevertheless, the north elevation openings are high quality work of circa 1700 with flat ashlar masonry arches. Silvester and Richardson have suggested the possibility that the building could be a refronting by Sir Simon Leach (d. 1708) of an earlier house built by his great grandfather, Sir Simon Leach, (d. 1637) and may have functioned as an agent or farm manager's house for Cadeleigh Manor. Exterior 2 storeys. Long, asymmetrical north elevation (but possibly once symmetrical at ground floor level, (Silvester and Richardson) with 13 ground floor and 11 first floor openings. The west end has been partly rebuilt at first floor level and has a slightly higher roofline. The 13 ground floor openings have flat ashlar masonry arches. The first bays from left and right have doorways, the fifth bay from the east is a doorway but may originally have been a window and it has been suggested that the windows in the third bays from left and right may have been doorways. This would have provided a symmetrical front. The central window is crowned with a rather decayed coat of arms which may show Leach impaling Turberville, recording the second marriage of the first Sir Simon Leach (q.v. parish church) although it has been interpreted as Leach impaling Grenville. 5 of the ground floor windows retain wooden frames and mullion. The first floor openings have plain wood or stone lintels, some with probably enlarged embrasures. The south elevation has a truncated ashlar masonry lateral stack and 6 openings of various sizes including what is probably a modern doorway at ground floor level 2 metres above the level of the farmyard to the south. Interior The fireplace in the left hand (east) room has ashlar masonry jambs and a scroll-stopped lintel. A rounded recess adjacent to the stack suggests the position of a former stair. There is no internal access between this room and the rest of the range. The lateral stack fireplace is blocked and the lintel has been removed but the chamfered jambs are still visible. The right hand (west) room axial stack projects into the putative hall and has chamfered jambs and a relieving arch. The first room front the left has an C18 or C19 fireplace in a partition wall which is not bonded to the external walls of the building ; circa straight stair between this room and the putative hall. An intriguing house with a complex building history on an archaeologically important site close to 2 small earthwork enclosures. The house, in connection with the earthworks, is important evidence in the history of Cadeleigh Manor. Both the earthworks and the house have been discussed in detail by R. J. Silvester and I. J. Richardson. Silvester, R. J. and Richardson, I. J., "The Manor of Cadeleigh near Tiverton," T.D.A., vol 116, (1984), 13-27.

Listing NGR: SS9198107478


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 116, (1984), 13-27


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/12527/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J. Rippon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].