This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

2 AND 4, HIGH STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 2 AND 4, HIGH STREET

List entry Number: 1254055

Location

2 AND 4, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Needham Market

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436935

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (EAST) TM 0954

3/103 Nos. 2 and 4

9.12.55 - II

Bank and offices. Built mid C17 as a free school under the terms of the Will of Sir Francis Theobald, Lord of the Manor of Barking and Needham Market (died 1632). He directed that the Guildhall at Barking be "pulled down and carried to Needham and set up.....". However, his instructions are known not to have been carried out for several decades. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan; alterations of late C19. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed and roughcast; some areas of framing are exposed and painted. Plaintiled roofs with axial chimneys of red brick, and pierced and undulating bargeboards with spike finials. C19 gabled dormers with cusped bargeboards and casements. Late C19 mullioned and transomed windows with casements and leaded lights; a large flat-roofed segmental bay to left. 2-storey gabled entrance porch with C19/C20 arched oak framed and boarded door. Many timber-framing members are exposed internally or externally, and are certainly reused from a late C15 or early C16 building, whose hall was probably on the upper floor and of 3 bays. There is also evidence for a closed truss with a further cell beyond. The floor joists and all main components are heavy and unmoulded, typical for a rural guildhall of c.1500. The mid C17 rebuilding is of domestic 3-cell form, with massive axial chimney, chamfered joists of smaller section in the parlour cell, and butt- purlin roof. A rear wing of 2 storeys may be C17 and remodelled, or possibly added c.1900. A History of Needham Market: H. Paget, C.B.E., 1984.

Listing NGR: TM0903254778

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pagett, H, A History of Needham Market, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TM 09032 54778

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254055 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 04:32:04.

End of official listing