UPPER STATION OF CLIFF RAILWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254381

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1991

Statutory Address: UPPER STATION OF CLIFF RAILWAY, CASTLE HILL WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPPER STATION OF CLIFF RAILWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254381 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 15:58:39.

Location

Statutory Address: UPPER STATION OF CLIFF RAILWAY, CASTLE HILL WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bridgnorth

National Grid Reference: SO7172393038

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added:-

SO 79 SW BRIDGNORTH CASTLE HILL WALK

2/286 Upper station of Cliff Railway

GV II

Funicular railway station. 1892. By G. Croydon Marks. Red brick and stone dressings with mock half timbering. Plain-tile and Welsh slate roofs with brick ridge and end stacks. Jacobethan style. 2 storeys with canted gabled bay to left, part-glazed door to centre and, to right, a diagonally set small 2-storey tower with tall pyramidal roof and ornamental ironwork finial. Further to right a single-storey flat roofed section with part-glazed double doors and windows either side houses the ticket office and entrance to the railway cars. The railway, the only inland funicular railway in England and the steepest, links the "High" and "Low" towns and is 201 feet long with a rise of 111 feet. In the first three months of its opening in July 1892, 50,000 passengers used the railway, showing the popularity of Bridgnorth as an attraction in that period. Forms a group with the Lower station (q,v.) to which the railway, carved out of the rock, leads. (C.F.GWILT: A History of the Castle Hill Railway).

Listing NGR: SO7172393038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437799

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gwilt, C F , A History of the Castle Hill Railway

End of official listing