CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1254774
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND, ST ALKMOND'S PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 20:12:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND, ST ALKMOND'S PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shrewsbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 49271 12487

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4912SW ST ALKMOND'S PLACE 653-1/15/522 Church of St Alkmund 10/01/53 (Formerly Listed as: ST ALKMOND'S SQUARE Church of St Alkmund)

GV II*

Parish church. 1794-5 incorporating C15 tower. John Carline and Tilley. White sandstone with leaded roofs. West tower and spire, nave with lean-to aisles, and short chancel. EXTERIOR: 4-stage west tower of coursed and squared rubble with Perpendicular west door with square hoodmould flanked by ogee niches. 4-light window over, and bell chamber opening of 3-lights. Pierced tracery to parapet, angle buttresses terminating in pinnacles. Spire with lucarnes. Ashlar to aisles, divided into 6 bays by thin pilaster buttresses with recessed panelling. Windows mostly of c1900, Decorated style, with stone tracery, but west windows have cast-iron tracery which dates from 1795. Cast-iron tracery in east window. Small porch with clustered columns carrying flat entablature in NE angle over Early English-style doorway. INTERIOR: a single space with a very short chancel behind chamfered arch carried on corbels. High chamfered west tower arch with abaci continuing as string course over west wall is the only visible fabric of medieval church. Flat panelled ceiling with main beams carried on wall posts on corbels. Pews said to date from 1795, but panelling and ceiling along with organ and screen to NE and screen to SE chapel are c1900. STAINED GLASS: 2 panels in north aisle, early C20. East window, Our Lady Queen of Heaven by Francis Eginton, 1795, a painting on glass. MEMORIALS: N aisle: Thomas and Mary Jones, 1715. Marble urn in pedimented surround with swags and putti etc; Sir Thomas Jones, 1702, by James Paget, an inscribed panel surmounted by broken pediment on Corinthian shafts flanked by foliate scrolls. Various simpler marble slabs in E and S wall of S aisle, and 3 re-sited brass figures of c1500, mounted on a board. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1958-).

Listing NGR: SJ4927112487

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457917
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15395/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Baldwin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].