CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED CHEST TOMBS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255062

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1973

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED CHEST TOMBS, HANDSWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED CHEST TOMBS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 01:03:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED CHEST TOMBS, HANDSWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 41050 86204

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK48NW HANDSWORTH ROAD, Handsworth 784-1/7/835 (South side) 28/06/73 Church of St Mary and attached chest tombs

GV II

Parish church and attached chest tombs. Late C12, north chapel (St Katherine) c1300, nave c1472, north aisle 1833, south aisle, south porch and vestry 1904, by John Dodsley Webster, choir vestry 1930, west tower late C12, the upper stages rebuilt 1825. Restored 1869 by ME Hadfield, 1880 by JB Mitchell-Withers, and 1934. Coursed squared stone and random rubble, with slate and lead roofs, with shaped plain tile roof to chancel. Tower has rendered lower stages. PLAN: chancel, north chapel, nave with aisles, vestries and porches, west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: chancel has plinth, quoins, sillband, and coped gables with crosses. East end has 3 graduated single lancets with hoodmoulds. Below, a round cornered enclosure with ashlar plinth and wrought-iron railing, mid C19, containing 4 chest tombs of various styles, dated 1658, mid C19 and 1889. South side has a central C19 doorway with cusped head and hoodmould, flanked to left by a shouldered blocked doorway. To right, a shallow buttress. Above the central door, a single lancet, and on either side, similar larger lancets. North side blank. North chapel, 2 bays, has angle buttress, moulded parapet and coped gable. To east, restored 3-light pointed arch window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. To north, 2 flat-headed 2-light windows with label moulds. Nave has crenellated parapet to south, string course and coped gable. Buttressed south aisle has three 3-light pointed arch windows with moulded surrounds and panel tracery. East end has a similar 4-light window. Buttressed north aisle has plinth and crenellated parapet. To north, 3 single lancets, and to west, a similar lancet. West tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses and string courses. Ground stage has to west a C19 pointed doorway flanked by small buttresses, with a small single lancet above. Second stage has a single lancet to south, with hoodmould. Bell stage has octagonal upper part with thin diagonal buttresses topped with pinnacles, and crenellated parapet. On each side, 2 louvred single lancet openings, and above them, a clock. Above again, on 4 sides, a traceried 2-light pointed arch bell opening with hoodmould. Flanking the tower, single storey vestries, Perpendicular style, with 2 flat-headed 2-light windows with tracery to west and elliptical arched doorways to north and south. South vestry has moulded parapet, north vestry has buttresses and crenellated parapet. INTERIOR: chancel has double chamfered arch, 1869, with keeled responds, and arch braced roof with struts. East end has stained glass windows c1870 and oak reredos c1915. South side has cusped headed piscina and double sedilia, C13. To west, 2 doorways, one blocked, and a large blocked low-side window. Stained glass windows mid and late C19. North side has double chamfered arch with keeled responds, C14, altered early C19, covered by late C20 glazed screen. North chapel has double chamfered western arch with mid C20 glazed screen, and arch braced roof. North side and east end have stained glass windows by Christopher Webb c1935. South side has combined squint and piscina, with cusped headed opening. Nave has Transitional north arcade, 3 bays, raised 1833 for the insertion of a gallery. Double chamfered arches, the central one round-headed, with octagonal east pier and round west piers. Keeled respond to east. Lower south arcade, 1904, has double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds, and octagonal piers. Restored low pitched roof with bosses and arch braces on corbels. Tower arch covered by late C20 wooden organ case and gallery. North aisle has at the west end a Tudor arched double door, and to north, 3 stained glass windows, late C19. South aisle has arch braced lean-to roof and east window with stained glass, 1875, and to south, 3 stained glass windows, late C19 and early C20. West end has elliptical arched doorway. Vestries have low pitched arch braced roofs. FITTINGS include C19 traceried ashlar font and traceried octagonal oak pulpit, and benches with traceried ends. Brass eagle lectern, 1895. C18 balustraded altar rail in north chapel. Other fittings late C20. MEMORIALS include early and mid C19 marble and alabaster tablets, and brasses, late C17 and early C18. Segment-headed marble and alabaster war memorial tablet, c1920. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 478; The Parish Church of St Mary, Handsworth: Sheffield: 1949-; Handsworth Annals: Heneage Ferraby: Sheffield: 1969-).

Listing NGR: SK4105086204

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 455319

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Parish Church of St Mary Handsworth, (1949)
Ferraby, H, Handsworth Annals, (1969)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 478
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27885

End of official listing