Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1255237

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: 56, VILLAGE ROAD


Ordnance survey map of 56, VILLAGE ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 02:25:08.


Statutory Address: 56, VILLAGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 54464 34997


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SK53SW VILLAGE ROAD, Clifton 646-1/9/679 (North side) 14/04/54 No.56 (Formerly Listed as: VILLAGE STREET, Clifton L.T.I. Cottage)


Open hall farmhouse. Dated 1319. Floored in and cross wing added, c1600. West bay added C17 and rebuilt in brick mid C19. Cased in brick 1707 for Thomas and Joan Lambert. Timber framing with brick cladding. Thatched roof, gabled and hipped, with gable, ridge and side wall brick stacks. EXTERIOR: central hall, 2 bays, orientated east-west. Cross passage and service bay to west. Additional bay beyond. Gabled cross wing, 2 storeys, to east. Central door flanked by a sliding sash on each floor, the upper right one under a through-eaves dormer. To right, cross wing with first floor band and coped gable. First floor sliding sash with label mould, and above it, in burnt headers "L T J 1707". C19 casement below. At the rear, a door in a reduced opening, and various casements and sliding sashes. INTERIOR retains the majority of the unusual C14 framing. Aisled hall, 2 bays, with a central wider truss with base crucks. Arch braces. Hall fireplace backing onto cross passage, with altered bressumer. Framed partition walls east of the hall and west of the cross passage. Stop-chamfered span beam, C17, in the service bay. Winder stair, C16, to attic above the 2 west bays. Central windowless bay with mud and stud smoke hood and substantial remains of collar purlin roof. Cross wing retains most of the C16 box framing, with a central pair of jowled posts and arch braces. Central stud partition on the first floor. C18 vaulted brick cellar with plank door. C19 stair. Fittings include in the cross wing an early C18 cupboard with shaped shelves and an early C19 fitted cupboard and drawers. In the west bay, a mid C19 kitchen range, bread oven and copper, and a stone cheese press. HISTORICAL NOTE: this building is of outstanding interest and importance. Timber-framed halls are rare survivals, and this example is particularly complete. Its framing is an unusual combination of aisle posts and base crucks, and a good part of the original roof remains. It is also a perfect example of the evolution of accommodation, first by the insertion of a floor and smoke hood, then by the addition of a storied cross wing. The brick casing is the typical next stage. In this case it can also be dated and attributed to an individual. (The English Farmhouse and Cottage: Barley MW: London: 1961-: 24-26 & ILLUS.; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 268-269).

Listing NGR: SK5446434997


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458941

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Barley, M W, The English Farmhouse and Cottage, (1961), 24-26
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 268-269

End of official listing