NOTTINGHAM PLAYHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1255252
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1994
Statutory Address:
NOTTINGHAM PLAYHOUSE, WELLINGTON CIRCUS

Map

Ordnance survey map of NOTTINGHAM PLAYHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255252.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 12:54:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
NOTTINGHAM PLAYHOUSE, WELLINGTON CIRCUS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 56796 39939

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5639NE WELLINGTON CIRCUS 646-1/19/824 (South East side) 14/07/94 Nottingham Playhouse

II*

Repertory theatre. 1961-3. By Peter Moro. Reinforced concrete. A square plan with a 2-storey foyer to Wellington Circus, which drops sharply with the fall of the hill to the rear to allow backstage workshops and dressing room space. Projecting arm to left contains rehearsal room, and bars and restaurants held by separate lessees and not of special interest. From within this square body rises the circular auditorium with stalls and a single circle, and behind it a higher flytower. EXTERIOR: glazed ground floor with above it the first floor treated as a low, horizontal band, chequer-patterned with opaque white panels and dark glazing - the pattern of light and dark is reversed at night. The effect serves to entice one into the interior. Foyer with open tread staircases and a balcony following the perimeter of the square outside walls; the round drum of the auditorium is largely left free, save for a sculpture by Geofrey Clarke. Circular auditorium clad with black timber treated as a series of vertical slats that continues the theme of the exterior whilst serving also as a covering for extra wiring or lighting. Proscenium-arch stage is adaptable as apron or thrust stage which can be raised over the orchestra pit and the front stalls; the surrounding row of seats can be adjusted round this altered form; a novelty in 1963. A circular grid serves this apron stage whilst contributing to the architectural form of the interior. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Nottingham Playhouse was the first theatre in England to break away from the conventional proscenium stage. It marks the beginning of a new and extremely successful period for the British theatre. Stylistically it is a crucial link between the Royal Festival Hall and the Royal National Theatre whilst standing as the supreme example of the new and successful wave of repertory theatres built outside London. (Interbuild : July 1959: 38-40; Architect's Journal : 2 Sep 1959: 209-10; Architect's Journal : 1 Jan 1964: 27-44; Architect and Building News : 11 Dec & 18 Dec 1963; Concrete Quarterly : October 1964: 2-5).

Listing NGR: SK5679639939

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
459064
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Architect and Building News' in 11 December, (1963)
'The Architect and Building News' in 18 December, (1963)
'Architects Journal' in 1 January, (1964), 27-44
'Interbuild' in July, (1959), 38-40
'Architects Journal' in 2 September, (1959), 209-10
'Concrete Quarterly' in October, (1964), 2-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07872/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Greaves. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].