BETHEL FIRST UNITED CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255770
Date first listed:
30-Apr-1982
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
BETHEL FIRST UNITED CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST, VICTORIA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BETHEL FIRST UNITED CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255770.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 17:41:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
BETHEL FIRST UNITED CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST, VICTORIA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28755 35460

Details

LEEDS

SE2835SE VICTORIA ROAD, Hyde Park 714-1/70/879 (South side) 30/04/82 Bethel First United Church of Jesus Christ (Formerly Listed as: VICTORIA STREET, Hyde Park (South side) Bethel United Methodist Church)

GV II

Church. 1886. Sandstone with gritstone dressings; brick and timber with stone details on E and S sides, slate roof. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: a large church with a hemmed in but lofty street elevation, the body of the church set on a splayed angle with basement to rear. EXTERIOR: 2-bay portal approached by steep steps, shafted and pointed trelobe arches, applied gable with diaperwork and rosettes. Large 5-light window above with quatrefoil tracery, steep gable overall, flanking buttresses capped by tall pinnacles. This centrepiece is flanked by very narrow buttressed bays, that to NE abutted by a narrow square tower with louvred bell stage, corner pinnacles and rising above, a 3-stage slated timber spire. The foundation stones, one at the base of each buttress, are dated 28 July 1886 and were laid by, from left to right: Mrs Harry Walker of Leeds, Mrs James Mathers of Leeds, Richard Ellis Esq. JP Mayor of Harrogate, William Mart Esq of Leeds, and Mrs James Wheatley of Leeds. Right return: brick with flush ashlar 2- and 3-light windows with trefoils, shallow roof below narrow clerestory which is entirely timber-framed with quatrefoil lights; transept crossing wing with 4-light mullioned windows with trefoil heads to 2nd floor. INTERIOR: the main doors open into a lobby with doors left and right to gallery stairs and offices; steps up to an ornate composite floor decorated with fleurs-de-lis, the coved ceiling has raised panels of vine scrolls; a timber partition with fine stained glass (bird and flower motifs) separates the lobby from the galleried meeting room with cast-iron columns and inserted ceiling. A stained-glass window in the E wall commemorates William Mart, 1840-1897 one of the founders of the church. Original pews and dais with carved Gothic Revival style balustrade. Gallery not inspected.



Listing NGR: SE2875535460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465667
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06462/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].