LEEDS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255792
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1993
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
LEEDS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, VERNON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEEDS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2019 at 02:04:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEEDS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, VERNON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29972 34048

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/10/2016

SE 2934 SE 714-1/74/404

LEEDS, VERNON STREET (South side), Leeds College of Art and Design and attached railings

(Formerly Listed as: VERNON STREET, Jacob Kramer College of Art)

23.03.93

GV

II

College of art, with railings. 1902. By Bedford and Kitson. Steel frame, red brick, stone bands, hipped slate roofs, cast-iron railings. 3 storeys over basement, 4-bay front, the right bay recessed and the main entrance on the right return: steps with stone-coped wall to half-glazed double doors in Gibbs-style surround, open segmental pediment with small window above, large glass mosaic plaque by Gerald Moira depicts seated Classical figures and the words LEEDS/ COLLEGE OF/ ART with 3 laurel wreaths. Modillion cornice, entablature and 2nd cornice carried round to Vernon Street frontage which has a narrow central bay flanked by wider hipped-roof bays defined by pilaster strips; large steel-framed windows, central round window at upper-floor level, stepped modillion cornice. Left return: 4 bays, pilasters between, main glazing centre and left. INTERIOR: many original features including in entrance hall 4(?) large plain columns supporting first floor. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings extend across Vernon Street frontage and left return; low stone-coped wall, scrolled panels with segmental tops and pointed bars. Part of the important group of schools built late C19-early C20 as part of the Leeds Institute, Cookridge Street (qv). The foundation stone was laid by Sir James Kitson, MP, in 1902 and it was opened in 1903 by Ernest William Beckett, MP. The former name commemorates the artist Jacob Kramer (1892-1962).



Listing NGR: SE2997234048

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465643
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].