AMBLER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255881

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1974

Statutory Address: 14-18, BOAR LANE

Statutory Address: AMBLER HOUSE, 2 AND 3, TREVELYAN SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of AMBLER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 02:58:42.

Location

Statutory Address: 14-18, BOAR LANE

Statutory Address: AMBLER HOUSE, 2 AND 3, TREVELYAN SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30141 33363

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW BOAR LANE 714-1/78/40 (South side) 22/03/74 Nos.14-18 (Consecutive)

GV II

Includes: Nos.2 AND 3 Ambler House TREVELYAN SQUARE. Shops, offices, storerooms and dining room. 1869-75. Early and mid C20 alterations. Possibly by Thomas Ambler. Ashlar, decorative fishscale grey slate roof. In Italianate style. 4 storeys with attic, 5 bays defining the separate properties and designed as a symmetrical facade: a,b,c,b,a. Fenestration, central bay: tripartite round-headed window to first and 2nd floors with fluted pilasters, deep first-floor sill cornice and triangular pediment to 2nd floor, centre; 3-light shouldered arch window to third floor; balustered sill. Dormer in segmental arch, pavilion roof. Bays 2 and 4: C20 window to first floor, bay 2, was probably identical to that in bay 4 which is tripartite, has fluted pilasters and knob motif to architrave; 2nd floor has plain architraves and fluted sill band surviving to bay 4. Square-headed 3rd-floor windows, vertical banding to architraves and diamond motif to sill band. Central shop entrance with early C20 casing: pilasters with festoons and cartouches under modillioned cornice; boarded C20 shop fronts. A pierced stone parapet is carried across the 3 central bays, the property divisions marked by plinths with ornate ball finials, one surviving. Bays 1 and 5: two plain rectangular windows to each floor, set slightly lower than the central bays; splayed corners, oriel turret rising from 2nd floor has mullion and transom windows and steep tent-shaped spire above. Right return: 4 bays fenestrated as facade, bay 5; the right bay having a plain doorway with overlight and smaller windows. Left return similar. Rear redeveloped and rebuilt 1993. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: at the sale of land on the newly widened Boar Lane in 1869 the block between White Horse Street and Gascoine Street, (both formerly entrances to yards) was divided into 5 narrow lots having a frontage to the prestigious new road and a deep 'backsides'. The new buildings were carefully designed to take advantage of the site and the details of the central bay, (No.16), are similar to those on Nos 1-11 Boar Lane (qv), suggesting that the same architect was involved. In 1872 only No.16 was occupied, by Joseph Parkin, tailor. By

1875 the block was completed and occupied by: a chemist and druggist together with the offices of the Singer Manufacturing Company and a Mining engineer (No.14); the same chemist, together with the Imperial Tea Company (No.15); as previously (No.16); David Barnard, glass and china merchant (No.17); a wine and spirits merchant (No.17); Horatio Blackburn established a Dining Room (No.18). (Porter T: Directory of Leeds and its Neighbourhood: Leeds: 1873-; White W: Directory of Leeds: Sheffield: 1875-).



Listing NGR: SE3014133367

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465525

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Porter, T, Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood, (1873)
'Whites Directory' in Leeds, (1875)

End of official listing