Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255931

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: THE CHANDLERS, 90-134 AND 99-109, THE CALLS


Ordnance survey map of THE CHANDLERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 01:09:07.


Statutory Address: THE CHANDLERS, 90-134 AND 99-109, THE CALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30763 33220


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE3033SE THE CALLS 714-1/79/383 (South side) Nos.90-134 AND 99-109 (Consecutive) The Chandler's


Formerly known as: No.64 THE CALLS. Mills, now flats. 1876, converted c1985. For William Turton. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. 4 storeys and basement, corner site with 10 first-floor windows to Crown Point Road and 6 to The Calls: triplet windows and sill band to first and 2nd floors, round-arched windows to top storey, small square openings, altered, to ground floor, Crown Point Road, cambered lintels to architraves on The Calls facade. Corner pedestrian entrance: panelled double doors in stone round-arched surround, raised lettering: 'WILLIAM TURTON', carved impost blocks and keystone; above first-floor window: 'ESTD. WT 1844', above first floor: 'REBUILT 1876'. Arched entrance to yard from The Calls has rusticated voussoirs and a horse's head carved on the keystone; panelled double doors. Courtyard: a tower reputed to contain a spiral stair and with an ornate iron railing to viewing platform, possibly a former chimney flue, against the Crown Point block. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was a store for horse feed at a time when horses were vital to the businesses which had to transport goods to and from the railway termini; William Turton had other interests in horse transport: he was Chairman of the Bradford Tramway and Omnibus Co., and the Leeds Tramway Co., and was a coal merchant during the later C19. The site at Crown Point Bridge (qv), built 1840, is on the important wharf of that date; products arriving by boat were unloaded into the rear yard and after processing, carried through the entrance on The Calls for distribution. The viewing platform would have commanded a good view of traffic on the river and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Said to contain stabling on ground floor/basement. (Hatcher, J: The Industrial Architecture of North Yorkshire: 1985-: 122; Yorkshire Archaeological Society Industrial Archaeology Section: Eye on the Aire Report; Chandlers Warehouse, Crown Point Road).

Listing NGR: SE3074933197


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465460

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Hatcher, J , The Industrial Architecture of North Yorkshire, (1985), 122

End of official listing