- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- DENISON HALL, HANOVER SQUARE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256073.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2020 at 01:56:27.
- Statutory Address:
- DENISON HALL, HANOVER SQUARE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
SE2934SW HANOVER SQUARE 714-1/73/202 (North side) 19/10/51 Denison Hall (Formerly Listed as: HANOVER SQUARE (North side) Denison Hall including gate piers to north-east)
Formerly known as: Woodhouse Park HANOVER SQUARE. Suburban villa, now vacant. 1786, altered C19 and C20. By William Lindley of Doncaster. For John Denison. Ashlar and stone from Potternewton quarries, slate hipped roofs. The S-facing garden front has a 3-storey, 5-bay block with 2-storey wings and 2 storey wing set back on left; entrance facade on the 2-storey, 3-bay right return. Classical style. Sashes mostly with glazing bars. Garden front: central 3 windows in semicircular recesses, plain string above, 4 giant Ionic pilasters extending through 2 floors, entablature, moulded eaves cornice and pediment with arms enriched with swags in tympanum and surmounted by urn finials. Long ashlar stacks flank central block, chimney pots missing. Flanking bowed wings, each with 3 windows, blind balustraded parapet. Rear: centre obscured by added block; shallower courses to stonework, sash windows with margin lights to ground and 1st floors, Venetian window to 1st-floor left, central pediment. Right return: central doorway with overlight, attached Doric columns supporting carved entablature and pediment. First-floor band, Venetian window above entrance, moulded cornice, parapet ramped up to centre with 3 blind recesses. INTERIOR: entrance vestibule with a room opening off each side, a screen of plaster columns in antis painted in imitation of veined marble, acroteria and swags to capitals; fine oval stair hall beyond has a cantilevered staircase with wrought-iron balustrade of wavy rails and figure-of-eight design with ribbon-like centres, described as the work of John Rodgers. Oval dome with delicate plasterwork, fan and husk motifs, traceried top light. Beyond the stair hall a small lobby with curved walls and round-arched niches, the cornice overpainted; room with moulded plaster panels beyond. 6-panel veneered doors, some altered. A secondary staircase has turned balusters and a moulded and ramped handrail; the service staircase reaching
from ground floor to attics, at the W side of the house, has cantilevered stone stairs and plain square-section balusters. On the 1st floor the principal rooms retain ceiling cornices, several rooms partitioned; the landing has moulded round-arched plaster panels, catch-light windows on N and E sides, doors on S and W sides. The E wing 1st floor is the music room, lit by Venetian windows, coved plaster ceiling has central rose with beading and husks, at ends a relief panel with wind instruments; pilasters at each end have Corinthian capitals. The central room on the S side is a narrow ante-room with rounded ends, panelled plaster ceiling, fan motif with bows and husks, ceiling cornice. The 4th staircase, in the NW corner of the building, is an attic stair with ramped handrail; 4-panel doors, partitioned rooms. HISTORICAL NOTE: John Denison, born Wilkinson, inherited his fortune from his uncle, William Denison, Leeds' richest woollen merchant, in 1785. The solicitor's bills and building accounts survive, naming the major craftsmen involved in the work, but not the architect. Letters written by William Lindley to a Doncaster client reveal that he was responsible for the design here; he refers in detail to the curved inner walls of 'Mr Denison's vestibule' and in 1777 had designed Nos 5, 6 & 7 Park Place (qqv). John Denison used the hall for only 2 years; it was advertised for sale and by 1796 was let to Sir Richard van Dempne Johnson of Hackness. In 1823 the then owner, George Rawson, commissioned Watson and Pritchett to build Hanover Square with the hall as the N side. (Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol 61: Hewlings, R: Denison Hall, Little Woodhouse, Leeds: 1989-: 173; Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol 63: Taylor, A: Denison Hall, Leeds, a postscript to Richard Hewlings: 1991-: 220).
Listing NGR: SE2909234083
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, (1991), 220
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, (1989), 173
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing