This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COMMUNITY CENTRE, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COMMUNITY CENTRE, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

List entry Number: 1256157

Location

COMMUNITY CENTRE, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, ST MATTHEWS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2932 ST MATTHEW'S STREET, Holbeck 714-1/42/851 (East side) 26/09/63 Community Centre, Church of St Matthew (Formerly Listed as: ST MATTHEW'S STREET, Holbeck Church of St Matthew)

GV II

Anglican church, now community centre. 1829-32, spire added mid C19, converted C20. By RD Chantrell. For the Church Commissioners. Coursed gritstone ashlar, slate roof. PLAN: nave, chancel, N and S aisles, no clerestory, west tower. EXTERIOR: tall lancets to aisles. Geometrical traceried east window in chancel. Plain pinnacles at corners. West tower with broach spire and pinnacles. INTERIOR: a 7-bay body with gallery on 3 sides supported on thin cast-iron columns and projections at E and W ends for chancel and tower respectively; the spaces left in the corners were filled by vestries or staircases and these were given lower roofs to add visual interest. The church held 1,200 worshippers and cost ยป3,734 18s 4 1/2d. One of 4 churches designed to a similar plan at this time; it belongs to the second group of Commissioner churches, built in Early English style which was cheaper than the Decorated Gothic of the first phase. (Thoresby Society Publication, 2nd Series, Volume 2: Webster C: RD Chantrell, Architect: his life and work in Leeds 1818-47).





Listing NGR: SE2913932210

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Webster, C, 'Thoresby Society Publication' in RD Chantrell Architect His Life and Work in Leeds 1818-47, ()

National Grid Reference: SE 29139 32210

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 02:17:06.

End of official listing