QUEBEC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256205

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: QUEBEC HOUSE, 9, QUEBEC STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUEBEC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 17:50:03.

Location

Statutory Address: QUEBEC HOUSE, 9, QUEBEC STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29790 33469

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933SE QUEBEC STREET 714-1/77/329 (South West side) 22/03/74 No.9 Quebec House (Formerly Listed as: QUEBEC STREET No.9 National Employers House)

GV II

Leeds County Liberal Club, now offices with basement restaurant. 1890. By Chorley and Connon. Pinkish red brick; terracotta made by the firm of JC Edwards, Ruabon; slate roof, wrought-iron gates. 4 storeys with basement and attic, 3 bays with semi-octagonal angle tower on right: open 1st floor with Ionic columns, arcaded 3rd floor and short tiled spire with heavy brackets to cornice. Quebec Street frontage: ground-floor segmental-arch windows with moulded terracotta apron panels and arched doorway left with open segmental pediment on paired brackets, richly ornamented tympanum, the name 'LEEDS COUNTY LIBERAL CLUB' moulded in relief, spandrels and brackets. 1st floor: round-arch windows and Ionic columns in antis supporting entablature, the apron panels, bases of column shafts and frieze in the entablature all have richly-moulded terracotta panels. Modillion cornice. Top 2 storeys and attics: the centre bay is slightly recessed; outer bays project slightly with large Dutch gables; panels of brick banded with terracotta. Rear: plainer, almost semicircular bay right with elaborate 5-light stained-glass window. INTERIOR: entrance steps rebuilt; flanking terracotta foundation stone with coat of arms and motto, 'PALHAM QUI MERUIT FERAT' and inscription: 'LAID BY/ SIR JAMES KITSON BART/ 12th MARCH 1890'. Art Nouveau inspired 2-leaf wrought-iron gates have wavy dog bars, bars with tendrils and scrolls. Staircase hall has a wide semicircular panelled stair with square-section balusters and open-work finials; carved wooden lions hold wrought-iron lamp standards. Moulded plaster ceiling to landing. The staircase window of 5 lights has stained glass depicting town coats of arms and heraldic motifs, including those of Hull, Kingston, Scarborough, Ripon and Leeds. James Kitson (1835-1911) was an industrial magnate and notable figure in the Liberal Party, reorganising and for many years

the central power in it; he became first Baron Airedale in 1907. The firm of JC Edwards of The Rhos Glazed Brick and Trefynant Fireclay Works, Pen-y-Bont, supplied the bricks and terracotta for several city centre buildings, characterised by a bright red finish, including the Hotel Metropole, King Street (qv). (The Rhos Glazed Brick and Trefynant Fireclay Works, Pen-y-Bont: Catalogue of buildings in Leeds ..: 1892-).



Listing NGR: SE2979033469

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465147

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Rhos Glazed Brick and Trefynant Fireclay Works Pen-y-Bont' in Catalogue of buildings in Leeds, (1892)

End of official listing