THE ROMAN BATH PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256732

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: THE ROMAN BATH PUBLIC HOUSE, 9, ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROMAN BATH PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:12:31.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ROMAN BATH PUBLIC HOUSE, 9, ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE6034051927

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE6051NW 1112-1/28/973 14/06/54

YORK ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE (North East side) No.9 The Roman Bath Public House

GV II*

Formerly known as: Mail Coach Public House ST SAMPSON'S PLACE. Public house. 1929-31, incorporating remains of C4 Roman bath-house. Baths constructed for the VI and IX Legions. Pub designed by B Wilson. Ground floor of rusticated stone with ashlar dressings; first floor of replica timber-framing with red brick infill, some herringbone pattern, some stretcher bond; Westmorland slate roof with brick stack. EXTERIOR: 2 angled fronts to fit corner site, both of 2 storeys and 2 bays, one bay in each front gabled. Main front on St Sampson's Square has entrance at right end, with panelled door and overlight in doorcase of half-octagonal columns capped with finials; to left is 4-light mullion window. On first floor, gabled bay is jettied on corbels and brackets and has 4-light window; over door is single casement. Secondary front to left repeats detail of main front, with original door blocked with fixed light window. All windows are leaded and incorporate coloured glass motifs. INTERIOR: parts of a Roman caldarium, frigidarium with apse, and hypocaust footings are preserved in the cellar. Public house formerly known as The Mail Coach. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 137; Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 177).

Listing NGR: SE6034051927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464625

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 177

End of official listing