SE6052SE PEASHOLME GREEN
1112-1/14/864 (North West side)
14/06/54 Church of St Cuthbert
(Formerly Listed as:
St Cuthbert (Church Offices))
Parish Church, now offices of Church of St Michael-le-Belfrey,
Minster Yard (qv). Mid C15 incorporating late C11 east wall;
C19 vestry and porch. Restored 1911-12; converted c1980.
Restoration by C Hodgson Fowler.
MATERIALS: magnesian limestone ashlar on moulded double
plinth, incorporating rubble wall with gritstone quoins on
narrow plinth at east end; roofs of tile and stone slate with
moulded stone coping. Vestry of pink-grey brick in English
garden-wall bond, with limestone south wall and pent roof of
PLAN: continuous 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave with south
porch; west tower and north-west vestry; charnel vault
converted to crypt.
EXTERIOR: east end: roughly buttressed C11 wall has blocked
doorway beneath crudely shaped lintel and segmental relieving
arch. To north, hollow-chamfered window of three cinquefoiled
lights with panel tracery in 2-centred head, above small
square opening in chamfered surround to former charnel vault.
North side has 2-stage buttresses at north-west angle and
between windows: towards west end, chamfered doorway in
2-centred arch with C19 door; further east, two square-headed
windows of two cinquefoiled lights in hollow-chamfered
South side: gabled porch has reset 2-leaf door of cinquefoiled
panels with perpendicular tracery in 2-centred head. Towards
east end, priest's door of two cinquefoiled panels in
4-centred head with oak and vine carved spandrels carved in
chamfered surround beneath coved hoodmould. Four windows of
three cinquefoiled lights in square-headed hollow-chamfered
surrounds beneath hoodmoulds, separated by 3-stage buttresses
surmounted by decayed gargoyles. Beneath easternmost window is
square-headed 2-light window with chamfered mullion, to former
charnel vault. Coved eaves string beneath plain parapet with
West end: 2-stage tower with south-west angle buttress: vestry
projects to north. West window of three cinquefoiled lights
with panel tracery in 4-centred head, beneath coved hoodmould:
above, small trefoiled light. Belfry openings to each face are
square-headed, of 2 louvred lights, beneath hoodmoulds on
weathered headstops. Moulded strings to belfry and beneath
embattled parapet, with defaced gargoyles to both.
INTERIOR: tower and south door arches double chamfered and
2-centred. Small square recess in chancel north wall. East of
south door, octagonal stoup reset in broach-stopped chamfered
recess with ogee-arched head. Coffin lid with incised cross
shaft set in tower west wall.
FITTINGS: include: hexagonal pulpit with arcaded panels carved
with foliage; communion table with column legs and fluted
rail. Paternoster, Commandment and Creed boards in
round-headed moulded surrounds. Lord Mayors' board with Queen
Anne cypher. Flanking tower arch, two undecipherable painted
boards, said to represent Moses and Aaron. Three lozenge
MONUMENTS: include: west wall: Richard Lund, wife Sarah, and
other members of family, died between 1813 and 1826, by Bennet
Snr. of York. North wall: Thomas Kilby and wife, d.1792 and
1793, by William Stead of York. South wall: cartouche to
Charles Mitley, carver, d.1758; Mary, wife of Charles Mitley,
d.1773(?); Ann, wife of Samuel Simpson, d.1836, and Elizabeth,
their daughter, d.1836, by Skelton. Crypt: early C17 slab with
brasses to members of Hungate family.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 12).
Listing NGR: SE6076652041