57 AND 59, MICKLEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1257340
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
57 AND 59, MICKLEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 57 AND 59, MICKLEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257340.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 03:01:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
57 AND 59, MICKLEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59943 51619

Details

YORK

SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/652 (South side) 14/06/54 Nos.57 AND 59

GV II*

Town house. Dated 1783; ground floor restored 1946-47. Front of orange-red brick in Flemish bond with stone bands, on stone basement; doorcases, and dentil and modillion eaves cornice of timber. Brick stacks to hipped roof of slate. Town house plan, incorporating service passage. EXTERIOR: basement and three storeys; 3-window front. At each end is a doorcase with panelled pilaster jambs, moulded frieze and dentilled cornice on volute consoles, the left one with wheatear drop below: doors of six raised and fielded panels beneath patterned fanlights recessed in round-arched milled architraves. Doorcase entablature continues across ground floor as plain band above C20 replica Venetian window with small pane glazing. First and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, over sill band on first floor, and with stone sills on second floor. Raised first floor band. At right end of eaves cornice, inverted bell shaped rainwater head over fallpipe with fleurs-de-lys clamps. Rear: segmental arches to first and second floor windows. Brick dentil eaves band. Dated rainwater head with initials WA. INTERIOR: ground floor: stone-flagged entrance and service passages. Two round arches on sunk panelled pilasters and reveals with milled necking and moulded imposts separate entrance passage from stairhall. Reconstructed staircase rises from ground to second floor, having cut string, slender turned balusters, two to a tread, and moulded handrail, ramped-up and wreathed at foot around column newel on shaped curtail step. Inserted elliptical arch leads to front room, which has enriched modillion cornice, and original fireplace with sunk panel jambs and moulded dentil cornice shelf, enriched with milling, frieze moulded with festoons and arabesques, and cast-iron grate. Rear room has two inserted elliptical arches and dentilled cornice. First floor: front room has moulded skirting, dado rail with milled enrichment, and enriched moulded cornice. Doors and windows have moulded and milled decoration to their architraves, and window reveals have sunk panels with composition foliar decoration. Fireplace has fluted pilaster jambs, milled architrave, frieze moulded with garlands and figures in applied composition, and milled and moulded cornice shelf. In rear room is fireplace with sunk pilaster jambs enriched with lion mask and pendant mouldings, possibly of applied composition, beaded and fluted frieze and moulded cornice shelf. Second floor: stairwell has dentilled cornice beneath coved

ceiling and top light. Plain continuous round arches lead to front and back rooms. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 78).



Listing NGR: SE5994651615

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464002
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 78

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03346/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].