ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257347
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ALL SAINTS, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257347 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:52:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ALL SAINTS, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dudley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 90247 84054

Details

SO 9084 STOURBRIDGE NEW ROAD (south side) 576/1/10003 Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and All Saints II

Roman Catholic church. 1863-4, by Edward Welby Pugin; tower by G.H. Cox added 1886. Red brick with stone dressings. Steeply pitched Welsh slate roofs with bands of grey tiles and stone coping to the gable ends with stone crosses at the apexes. PLAN: 8-bay nave, chancel, north and south aisles, vestry in the angle of the north aisle and the chancel and a tower at the west end of the north aisle. Vestry added on south side. The church is aligned north-south. Gothic style with Geometric window tracery. EXTERIOR: North and south aisles with 2-light Geometric tracery windows with buttresses between and tall nave with cusped circular clerestory windows. Chancel has tall and narrow north and south windows with Geometric tracery, large rose east window and vestry in the angle with the north aisle. North west tower actually on NE corner, in three stages, the second stage with pairs of very narrow lancets, the top stage with louvred bell-openings and large turrets with pinnacles and with a short spire with small lucarnes; the pinnacles and the spire have iron finials. INTERIOR: Lofty interior with broad 8-bay nave with clerestory and 7-bay arcades with moulded 2-centred arches and thin alternating grey and pink polished granite piers with block capitals and tall plain bases. Elaborate 8-bay nave roof with arch scissor-braces, high collars and collars to the common-rafters. Arch-braced aisle roofs. Chancel roof has painted panels. Richly carved stone reredos of 1875. Wooden gallery in 8th bay at west end with organ. Pulpit and intact seating. Stained glass windows of 1875 by Hardman. SOURCE: Buildings of England, page 269.



Listing NGR: SO9024784054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463966
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 269

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03642/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.R. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].