THE GARTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257382
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1971
Statutory Address:
THE GARTH, 60, MARYGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GARTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 10:05:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GARTH, 60, MARYGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59800 52160

Details

YORK

SE5952SE MARYGATE 1112-1/12/629 (North West side) 19/08/71 No.60 The Garth

GV II

School, now house, part occupied by No.62 Marygate (qv) and Little Garth, Marygate Lane (qv). 1705; extensively altered in late C19 and later, refenestrated 1901. Orange-brown brick in English garden wall bond, painted on ground floor to Marygate Lane; timber bargeboarded gables and brick stacks to pantile roofs. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-bay front flanked by gabled wings, 2 storeys and attic to left, 3 storeys and attic to right. Right wing has 4-panel door with side window beneath bracketed flat porch, to left of 3-light window. Left wing has 6-panel door and 3-light window: centre ground floor windows are similar. On first floor, centre window is canted oriel of 6 transomed lights: window to left is of 3 lights, to right 2 lights, both with timber mullions and transoms. On second floor windows are of 2 or 3 lights without transoms. Each attic has a glazed oculus. Windows are square latticed casements and have renewed 1-course segmental brick arches. 2-course raised brick bands to all floors, broken in places by altered fenestration and returned over right return. Left return: 2 storeys, 2 windows. On ground floor at right end is original plank and batten panelled door with timber lintel: to left is renewed unequal 12-pane sash window, further left glazed and panelled door in moulded surround with corner roundels. On first floor, window to left is 2-light casement, to right top-hung light, both transomed. All openings except right end door have flat arches of gauged brick. Right return: evidence of blocked windows with brick segmental arches on all three floors towards Marygate Lane. INTERIORS: no features of note survive. From 1705 to 1784, the house was occupied by the Grey Coat School for Girls. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 86).



Listing NGR: SE5979952159

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463958
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04904/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].