ST MARYS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257552

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: ST MARYS HOUSE, HUNTINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARYS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257552 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 23:33:15.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MARYS HOUSE, HUNTINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60832 53035

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE65SW HUNTINGTON ROAD 1112-1/2/513 (West side) 24/06/83 St Mary's House (Formerly Listed as: HUNTINGTON ROAD Former Residential block of the former Grange Hospital (now St Mary's))

GV II

Workhouse, now student flats. 1848-49, renovated 1994. By JB and W Atkinson. Orange-cream brick in English garden-wall bond; slate roofs, shallow pitched and hipped with wide eaves, carried on shaped brackets over gable ends. Two parallel ranges, front one longer than the rear. EXTERIOR: front: 3 storeys, 21 windows arranged 3:2:4:3:4:2:3: alternate blocks project but are linked on ground floor by 1-storey ranges set forward so that the centre block is recessed: at each end are 5-bay wings, 1 storey to left, 3 storeys to right. Centre block has panelled double doors beneath radial fanlight recessed in round arch of 2 orders, flanked by radial glazed sashes similarly recessed; outer 3-window blocks have 1-storey canted bay windows with French doors. Except where radial glazed sashes are indicated, windows are small pane sashes, those on first floor generally of unequal sashes. Ground and first floor window arches are segmental, except in 5-bay wings which are cambered arches on ground floor; on second floor, all arches are cambered. Centre block windows on first and second floors have a sill band; otherwise windows have stone sills, some painted, some renewed. Rear: 19 bays arranged 3:1:4:3:4:1:3, the 3 centre bays canted: to left and right of centre are 1-storey 3-bay hipped roofed outbuildings, at each end 1-storey wings. Single window bays have staircase windows at two levels, the lower segment-arched 30-pane sashes, the upper radial glazed 24-pane windows with pivoting centre sections. Otherwise fenestration in main block generally repeats that of front range. Outbuildings have 18-pane sashes with cambered arches: wing at left end has 16-pane sashes with timber lintels. Left and right returns: returns of shorter rear range are gabled over full height round-arched recess with fire door on each floor opening on to fire escape stairs. INTERIOR: not inspected. Plans for 1994 refurbishment show the survival of staircase in octagonal stairwell, apparently top lit, recorded by RCHM. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 51).



Listing NGR: SE6083253035

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463748

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 51

End of official listing