2, JUBBERGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1257555
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
2, JUBBERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2, JUBBERGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257555.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 15:39:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
2, JUBBERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60412 51873

Details

YORK

SE6051NW JUBBERGATE 1112-1/28/515 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.2 (Formerly Listed as: JUBBERGATE White Rose Cafe)

GV II*

House. Late C14 with early C17 crosswing extension; extensively restored 1928, including re-roofing and partial rebuilding and extension to rear of C17 wing. Restoration by Brierley and Rutherford. Both parts timber-framed; ground floor rebuilt in red herringbone brick and rear of wing in red-grey mottled brick in English bond; upper floors plastered and white-washed; tiled roofs with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: C14 block has 2-storey, 2-bay front, with gabled roof dormer and first floor jettied on adjacent sides; to right, C17 gabled crosswing of 2 storeys and attic, 1 bay, first floor jettied on adjacent sides, attic jettied at front. Framing exposed on all floors, that on ground floor mostly renewed except for dragon posts, that on upper floors largely original. C14 block has glazed and panelled door flanked by small-pane canted bay windows over sunk panelled risers, and two 2-light windows on first floor. C17 block has four windows of 2 or 3 lights on ground floor: on first floor, 3-light oriel window with 16-pane centre sash, flanked by small 2-light windows; 3-light window in attic gable. Good wrought-iron bracket at left end of attic jetty. Right return: 2-storey front of 2 unequal bays, with two parallel gabled crosswings to right, of 2 storeys and attics, and irregular fenestration. End crosswing has panelled door in 4-centred opening, and 1- and 2-light windows with tiled sills between upper floors. Windows elsewhere repeat those of main fronts, all with square- or diamond-paned leaded lights. Embattled rainwater head dated 1928 at eaves level of end crosswing. INTERIOR: original timber-framing and studding survive substantially in all parts of the building, including dragon beams in ground floor ceilings. At rear of left bay of C14 part is reset cast-iron fireplace. On first floor, C17 wing has moulded plaster cornice to ceiling and transverse beam; reset cast-iron range in fireplace. In C17 attic, front room has early C20 cast-iron fire grate in C19 surround, rear room retains chamfered 4-centred fireplace arch. An interesting example of early C20 restoration, by the important local architects Brierley and Rutherford. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 149).



Listing NGR: SE6041251873

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463751
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 149

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06903/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].