THE CROSS KEYS AND ATTACHED YARD GATEWAY AND WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257733

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: THE CROSS KEYS AND ATTACHED YARD GATEWAY AND WALL, 34, GOODRAMGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CROSS KEYS AND ATTACHED YARD GATEWAY AND WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 15:10:36.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CROSS KEYS AND ATTACHED YARD GATEWAY AND WALL, 34, GOODRAMGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60466 52138

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW GOODRAMGATE 1112-1/27/400 (West side) No.34 The Cross Keys and attached yard gateway and wall

GV II

Public house. Dated 1904. By Frank Raney of Stonegate. For CJ Melrose and Co. MATERIALS: orange brick in English garden-wall and stretcher bonds; inn front to Goodramgate of faience; faience dressings; Deangate front has planted timber-framing with plaster infill on first floor: brick coping and kneelers, and brick cornice stacks to tiled roofs. Yard wall and gateway of orange brick in English garden-wall bond with stone dressings and timber gates. Wedge shaped on plan with angled corner bays. EXTERIOR: 2-storey fronts, 5 bays to Goodramgate, 3 bays to Deangate, and 2 bays at the junction. Goodramgate front: bays arranged 2:1:2, with gabled centre bay. Inn front has moulded plinth and moulded capping at impost level. Central glazed and panelled double doors beneath overlight flanked by tripartite windows with transoms and frosted glazing etched with bar names and crossed key motifs. Windows framed in pilasters with voluted heads beneath heavy pulvinated friezes, dentilled cornices and scrolled pediments. Door has similar frieze and cornice on moulded consoles. First floor windows are hung sashes with 8-pane top lights, 1-pane lower lights and brick cambered arches. Central gable has moulded kneelers, relief mouldings of crossed keys in foliate cartouche and date 1904 beneath flat hoodmould, all of faience. Windows on both floors have moulded faience sills, those on first floor extended in brick on each side to form sill band, and continued at right end across first corner bay. Coved eaves cornice returns across both corner bays. Deangate front: outer bays are gabled with plain bargeboards. Centre bay has panelled door with glazed oculus and divided overlight, and sash window to left; right bay has two similar windows, left bay a tripartite window with centre sash between narrow side lights. Windows all have 8-pane upper sashes and lower sashes of etched frosted glass; all have brick cambered arches and sills of moulded faience. On first floor, windows are mullioned and transomed with casements, square latticed top-hung lights and shaped timber sills. Corner bay to Goodramgate has one sash window on each floor, ground floor one with etched frosted glass. Second corner bay has corbelled-out stack which rises through cornice and base of roof pitch. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: yard wall is approximately 1.75 metres high with moulded stone coping, rising to piers with moulded

cornices and ball finials. Gates are 2-leaved with segmental head, on long bifurcated strap hinges. Inn was rebuilt in place of an earlier one on the same site with the creation of Deangate in 1903.



Listing NGR: SE6046652134

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463501

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing