This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GROTTO SOUTH WEST OF BARWICK HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GROTTO SOUTH WEST OF BARWICK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1257902

Location

THE GROTTO SOUTH WEST OF BARWICK HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463297

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST51SE BARWICK BARWICK PARK

241-0/5/10000 The Grotto south west of Barwick House

GV II

Grotto in park of country house. Circa 1770; built for John and Grace Newman of Barwick House, Barwick Park [qv]. Rustic stone rubble. A subterranean grotto at the western end of the lake at Barwick Park. Comprises three chambers, including a small domed entrance chamber to the north, a small barrel-vaulted side chamber to the west of the entrance chamber containing a pool and to the south the large circular domed principal chamber contains a central pool with a path around it; there are three pairs of niches in the walls of the main chamber, from two of the niches issue springs and at the top of the dome there is an occulus. The niches and the entrance and connecting arches are semi-circular and rustic in form and the interior is of exposed rock rubble. The grotto was approached by a `rocky ravine` [Jones, B.] over which there was a rustic arch [Arch immediately south west of Barwick House qv]. SOURCES: Jones, B., Follies and Grottoes, pp 227-30. RCHME report, 13/12/1996. Buildings of England, page 85.



Listing NGR: ST5593114241

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Jones, B, Follies and Grottoes, (1974), 227-30
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 85

National Grid Reference: ST 55931 14241

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257902 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 06:56:54.

End of official listing