CHURCH OF ST ETHELDREDA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1260344
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELDREDA, COLEBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ETHELDREDA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260344.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:30:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELDREDA, COLEBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
West Halton
National Grid Reference:
SE 90512 20838

Details

SE 92 SW WEST HALTON COLEBY ROAD (east side)

2/17 Church of St Etheldreda

6.11.67 II* GV

Church. Medieval origins, rebuilt 1698 using medieval masonry and details, including C13-14 traceried windows. Porch, vestry and nave gallery added 1837; restored and chancel rebuilt 1876-7. West tower, 3-bay nave with north vestry and south porch, 2-bay chancel. Coursed limestone rubble with limestone ashlar dressings. Lead roofs to nave and chancel; slate roofs to porch and vestry. Chamfered plinth, quoins. 2-stage tower: stepped diagonal buttresses, round-headed west window with raised imposts and keystone, moulded string course, round-headed 2-light belfry openings with chamfered jambs and Y-tracery, gargoyles to north and south, embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave: 3 pointed 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and one pointed 3-light north window with re-set intersecting tracery. Porch has pointed chamfered outer arch, inner slightly pointed chamfered arch with moulded imposts and raised keystone. Vestry has round-headed west window with wooden Y-tracery. Chancel: stepped buttresses with moulded bases, moulded cill band, windows similar to nave, (C19 tracery to east window), with a fine series of carved headstops; coped gable and shaped kneelers. Interior: round-headed tower door with raised imposts; nave gallery at west end with painted Gothic-style panelled front supported on pair of slender cast iron columns with foliate capitals; pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on shafted responds with plain moulded capitals. Chancel has moulded cill band, carved headstops to windows and carved roof corbels. Memorials: gravestone of 1666 to J. Merriweather, Rector, in chancel floor; 1782 marble wall tablet with draped urn to John flail and wife Hannah. Moulded octagonal pulpit base and steps. C17 font in tower, made from medieval column and base. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshsire, 1978,"419; Drawing by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: SE9051220838

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440993
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 419

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06614/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Clow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].