CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1264324

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264324 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 05:29:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Northbourne

National Grid Reference: TR 33364 52233

Details

NORTHBOURNE THE STREET TR 35 SW (north side)

4/34 Church of 11.10.63 St. Augustine

GV I

Parish church. C12, re-fenestrated C13 and early C14, with porches 1865. Flint with plain tiled roof. Cruciform with central tower and north and south porches. Squat central tower with bold quoins, string course and parapet and low spire. Massive raking buttresses, with tiled weathering, in re-entrant angles to transepts. West end with clasping buttress to north, and offset angle buttresses on south; simple chamfered west door with lancet over. South doorway with scallop capitals on nook shafts with zig-zag moulding and billet-moulded hood. Lancet windows through- out, except south transept, with bar tracery, much brick dressing and repair to east end. East window composition of lancet, with round headed lancet over and roundel with billet moulded surround over that. Interior: simple, tall nave with 4 steps up to west door, with original reveals of Romanesque lancets, the eastermost reveals of C13 pointed lancets. C19 roof with king posts and secondary crown posts to purlins. Blocked round headed recess to north east. Tower crossing arches with scalloped nook shafts with square responds and imposts with bold roll mould and zig-zag moulding. Chancel arch rebuilt pointed. Nave gable with window opening above crossing arch. Transepts with large lancets, that in south transept with inserted Y-tracery. Chancel with trefoil headed reveals to north and south lancets. Large pointed arched recess on east wall containing 2 tier lancets. The lower chancel wall is considerably thickened. Fittings: triangular headed piscina with crude shafts and drip. Chamfered elliptical sedile with 3 C19 seats. Aumbrey in north wall. Reredos, and other embellishments by J. F. Bentley 1865, of stone and alabaster, with tabernacle, quatrefoiled lozenges with evangelical symbols, attached shafts and stiffleaf enrichment. North and south wall with quatrefoil recesses also, recording the work done 1865 for the Hannam family. Polychrome tiles throughout the sanctuary. C19 corona lucis in south transept and crossing. Choir stalls incorporate C18 bead moulded panelling, more of which is in the south transept. Arms of George II in nave dated 1751. Two hatchments in south transept, and sculptural fragment, a C14 head of a king. Large areas of old floor tiles survive, especially in the south transept and the crossing. Monument: Sir Edwyn Sandys, erected prior to his death, 1628. Very large free standing monument in black marble and alabaster. He and his wife lie at different levels, hands clasped in prayer and in well executed if stiff pose, on pilastered chest with coats of arms. Deep columned recess with entablature, and curtains tied back, crowned with cartouche shields and large pedimented and draped achievement. Inner walls of recess with helm at head and gloves at feet, with 3 cherubs above. The rear wall carved with inscription plaque of 1830 and 2 awkward angels, probably of same date. Sir Edwyn, Elizabethan lawyer and courtier, built the house and surviving gardens at Northbourne Court, and drew up the constitution of the colony of Virginia, providing the model for the other North American States. The church was a possession of St. Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury, hence its dedication and scale. (See B.O.E. Kent II. 1983 406; see also Hasted, 1800, p.584 ).

Listing NGR: TR3344754059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 428148

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1800), 584
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 406

End of official listing