CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1266756
Date first listed:
18-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, UPPER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1266756 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:09:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, UPPER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eastnor
National Grid Reference:
SO 73134 37227

Details

SO 73 NW; 4/38

EASTNOR CP, EASTNOR, UPPER ROAD (west side)

Church of St John the Baptist

18.11.52

GV

I

C12, altered C13 and C15; tower remodelled C14; restored and mostly rebuilt in 1852 by Sir G G Scott. Consists of west tower, nave and south porch, north aisle and organ space and north or Somers chapel and chancel. Ashlar, rubble and coursed squared rubble to the tower: plain tiled roofs.

West tower of three stages, diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet; the top is of a different stone and is unbuttressed; setback pyramidal roof, weathervane on ball finial; 3-light Perpendicular style west window and moulded west doorway; single round-headed lights to second stage and 2-light C14 style windows to bell chamber; square stair tower projects at north-east. Nave: two C19 Geometric style windows and buttresses with off-sets. Projecting, gabled, timber-framed porch has trefoil headed arcade on an ashlar base. Restored south doorway of one order of columns with trumpet-scallop capitals and a plain arch. Chancel: two fine C19 2-light windows in an early - mid C14 style with much ballflower ornament and under hoodmoulds with head stops; ball-flower ornamented wall plate; priests' door under large trefoil head, ornamented with fleurons and ballflower; 3-light Geometric style east window, also profuse with ballflower ornament. North aisle is plain with three narrow slit windows. Somers chapel: angle buttresses with gabled heads; three lancet windows divided by a transom, trefoil heads to lower part and a large trefoil light above, under a hoodmould with head stops; decorated band over:

INTERIOR: Three-bay arcade to north chapel has octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches; the east capital has trumpet-scallops. Double ware-moulded tower arch. Font and pulpit of 1852 in a heavy Gothic style, of carved freestone and marble shafts. Circular tub font in north aisle. Enriched Gothic style screen. Reredos of 1896, incorporating carved friezes and other parts of a monument from Siena. Glass: east window by Kempe; Somers chapel east window by Wilmhurst and Oliphant, 1884. Monuments. Tower: two designed by James Stuart and executed by Thomas Scheemakers; to Joseph Cocks died 1778, in brown and white marble, a sarcophagus with a profile in a roundel and putti above; and to Mary Cocks, died 1779, in marble, a seated woman by an urn, set against drapery, and with a putto at the right. Somers chapel: to first Earl Somers, died 1855, by Sir G G Scott, a freestone chest with religious scenes in trefoiled arcading, all set in depressed arched niche; to 3rd Earl, died 1883 by Sir J E Boehm, a grey marble chest tomb with a white marble recumbent effigy; marble tablets to John Cocks, died 1771, an urn in front of an obelisk; Edward Cocks, died 1782, by Thomas Scheemakers, a marble plaque with books, a cap and a lamb at the foot; Charles Cocks 1806. Rev John Fletcher, died 1797, also by Stuart and Scheemakers (Pevsner), stand- ing female figure by an urn and in front of an obelisk. A high quality but small and little known masterpiece by Scott at a cost of £1506 0s 3d.

Listing NGR: SO7313437226

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152465
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08978/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Drummond. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].