FORMER SAVILLE THEATRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1271631
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
FORMER SAVILLE THEATRE, SHAFTESBURY AVENUE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271631.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 17:30:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER SAVILLE THEATRE, SHAFTESBURY AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29980 81145

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2981SE SHAFTESBURY AVENUE 798-1/104/1899 Former Saville Theatre 01/07/98

II

Former theatre, now cinema. Designed 1929-30, built 1930-1 by TP Bennett and Son for AE Fournier, theatrical impressario. Steel frame clad in red-brown brick with artificial stone plinth and sculpted frieze to front, and parapet round the building. Rectangular building, originally comprising a theatre on 3 levels, but converted in 1970 into 2 cinemas set one above the other and with large foyer and staircase. EXTERIOR: the elevation is particularly handsome. Rusticated stone plinth with band supports frieze by Gilbert Bayes depicting Drama through the Ages. Moulded band over, above which a blind facade of rusticated brickwork interrupted only by 5 pairs of roundel plaques, and a giant arch over the entrance, framed by simple stone banding with a flat keystone. The arch originally with bronze metal glazing, since 1970 tiled over. Simpler brickwork to side elevations and rear. INTERIOR: remodelled in 1970 and nothing of the 1930-1 work remains on view. The Saville Theatre is remarkable as a fine composition that incorporates architecture and sculpture with rare intelligence, and which fulfills Bayes' vision of a unity between the two arts. Bayes' frieze is one of the largest and most important works of public sculpture of its age, and won him the silver medal of the Institute of Sculptors for the best piece of applied sculpture of its year. It is 129 feet long and made from artificial stone. It consists of a frieze of dramatic players and dancers set between a broad curtain which is folded round the side of the building. It depicts from left to right: St Joan; the Chester players; St George; a Roman triumphal procession; Bacchanalian dancers; a Harlequinade in Comedia dell'arte costume; Shakespearean figures; figures from contemporary drama and (round the corner) a figure in Boer War uniform. The plaques above depict art of Egypt; Assyria; the Italian Renaissance; Medieval (initialled); Pompadour; Victorian period (signed); Elizabethan and Georgian.





Listing NGR: TQ2998081145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477977
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13024/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].