THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1276278
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, SOHO ROAD B21

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276278 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:18:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, SOHO ROAD B21

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP0430489583

Details

SP 08 NW 6/11A 17.1.85

BIRMINGHAM SOHO ROAD B21 The Red lion Public House

II*

Public house. 1901-2 by James & Lister Lea for the Holt Brewery Company. Brick and terracotta facade; brick to sides and rear. Welsh slate roof. End stacks. PLAN. Long public bar along the road with further bars to right and behind. Spacious staircase hall in right-hand part of the building. EXTERIOR. 3 storeys. Free Renaissance style. Pink terracotta ground floor with entrances at the ends and centre. Shallow canopies carried on human torsoes over the doorways. Windows under shallow 3-centred arches. Upper floors buff terracotta. First floor with 6 traceried windows of different sizes with engaged colonettes and under an elaborate Jacobean-style frieze. Above a polygonal corner tower with attic window and surmounted by a cupola. Two gabled attic windows of different sizes and detail. INTERIOR. Public bar with blue and yellow Minton tiling on walls and panelling ceiling. Exceptionally fine bar back combining mirror-glass and mahogany joinery, enriched with gilded and painted letters. Bar front painted and detailed in Neo-Renaissance style. Fixed seating. Door to smoke room with etched and gilded glass Smoke room with fixed seating. Walls completely tiled with a similar scheme to the public bar but with framed coloured lithographs of girls in pastoral settings. Coffee room with more restrained decoration polished wooden panelling above fixed seats (with bell pushes) and extending to ceiling; framed engravings of dogs and narrative paintings. Oval mirror in over-mantle. Staircase hall entirely tiled with several designs and repeating the colours in the public bar. Ornately detailed newel posts and turned balusters; coloured glass of 1902. A public house of unusual richness and completeness, with interior detailing. comparable to the best surviving examples nationally. SOURCES: A, Crawford, M. Dunn & R Thorne, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939 (Gloucester, 1986), pp. 118-9.

Listing NGR: SP0430489583

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
409753
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford, A, Dunn, M, Thorne, R, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939, (1986), 118-119

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/04352/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].