CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1277792
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277792.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:44:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Cotgrave
National Grid Reference:
SK 64412 35344

Details

SK 63 NW COTGRAVE CHURCH LANE (south side)

3/53 Church of 1.12.65 All Saints

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C19, restored 1877-8 by Evans and Jolly. Dressed coursed rubble, ashlar and render. Slate roofs with decorative ridges. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and the east chancel. Tower with spire, nave, aisles, north organ chamber, north vestry, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed late C14 ashlar tower of 2 stages with bands. Embattled with spire and set on a moulded plinth. The west side has a single arched C14 3 light window with reticulated tracery. The south side has a doorway with 2 rectangular lights above. Each of the 4 C14 bell chamber openings has 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The north opening lacking mullion. Under that on the east side is a single clock face. Projecting from the west wall of the north aisle is a render and pantile lean-to. Buttressed dressed coursed rubble north wall with moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. To the left are 2 restored C14 3 light windows each with reticulated tracery under a flat arch. The rendered C15 clerestory has 3 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The rendered C15 clerestory has 3 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. To the left is the ashlar gabled C19 organ chamber set on a chamfered plinth with single C19 arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery. Under is a single trefoil arched wall tablet. To the left and slightly set back is the buttressed C19 vestry set on a chamfered plinth. The east wall has a single C19 arched window with 2 cinquefoil lights. Rendered diagonally buttressed east chancel with single C19 arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Rendered south chancel with 2 C19 arched 2 light windows each with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Single central arched C19 doorway with hood mould and label stops. The buttressed dressed coursed rubble south aisle is set on a plinth and has in the east wall a single arched restored C14 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south wall has 3 C19 3 light windows each with reticulated tracery under a flat arch. To the left is the diagonally buttressed gabled porch with decorative barge board and moulded arched C19 entrance with hood mould and label stops. The side walls each have single windows with 2 trefoil arched lights under a flat arch. Inner pointed chamfered arched doorway with double door with pointed arched panels. The west wall of the aisle has a single small lancet. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. Late C13 4 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches, quatrefoil piers with fillets and moulded capitals, the responds being corbels, supported on the east side on single, carved human heads. Tall chamfered tower arch with broach stops and wood and glass screen. Evidence of widened nave seen by the off-centre C12 double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order with broach stops is supported on demi-columns with waterleaf capitals, the outer order on jambs of roll moulding. Double chamfered chancel/organ chamber arch, to the right is the doorway to the vestry. South doorway with decorative spandrel. The east wall of the north aisle has a single former window with 3 lights and reticulated tracery. The south wall of the south aisle has an ogee arched piscina. C18 wooden chest. Fragment of a shaft piscina decorated with waterleaf. Remaining furniture C19 with an ashlar octagonal font with decorated panels and a brass offerings box. There are 2 boards detailing the 10 Commandments and a single board with King Charles' Rules. The south chancel has a wall tablet to Mildred Scrimshire, 1783, this is topped with a broken pediment containing an obelisk decorated with a figure. On the north wall is a tablet to William Lanson, 1800, this is surmounted by a decorative sarcophagus and a tablet to Catherine Browne, 1813. On the west nave wall is a plaque to Thomas Wood Mensing, 1836.

Listing NGR: SK6441235345

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
430462
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02570/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Nick Blackburn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].