COUNCIL HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1282341

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: COUNCIL HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS, COLLEGE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNCIL HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 06:04:33.

Location

Statutory Address: COUNCIL HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND PIERS, COLLEGE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58261 72795

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST5872NW 901-1/15/72

BRISTOL, COLLEGE GREEN (West side), Council House and attached railings and piers

(Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE GREEN The Council House)

19/03/81

II*

Council house. 1935-1952. By Vincent Harris. Concrete frame clad with very wide, thin bricks, with Portland stone dressings and a leaded hipped roof. Concave axial double-depth plan. Neo-Georgian style. 2 storeys, attic and basement; 38-window range. A very wide, concave bowed front has a stone plinth, first-floor plat band, moulded coping in front of the recessed attic. Full-height porte cocheres to each end, similar 2-storey one to central main entrance. Outer ones have full-height semicircular arches, single-storey side ones, to semicircular-arched doorways with 2-leaf doors swept down to the centre, and first-floor windows with Corinthian columns to pediments on balconies with balustrades. The middle porte cochere is almost detached, with an octagonal base to an ashlar dome, semicircular arches to 3 sides, and blind flanking blocks 4 windows wide. 6/6-pane horned sashes in exposed frames, alternate 3 windows on the ground floor have moulded stone architraves. A very steep and high roof with gilded unicorns to the corners of the end blocks. The rear elevation has 2-storey tetrastyle-in-antis loggias at the ends, linked by pilastrades round to the central projecting block, which has a pilastrade below very large 25/25-pane sashes, and flanking towers with McFall sculptures on top. INTERIOR: sparsely decorated in monumental manner and faced in plain ashlar; details include a central axial passage, and good lamps in the entrance lobby, which has a marble floor; complete original fittings throughout, those to the Committee Rooms being of particular note; horological clock in entrance hall; painted ceilings in the Council Room by John Armstrong on the theme of Bristol and its history, and in the Conference Room by WT Monnington on the theme of molecular and atomic fusion. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached railings and octagonal piers to the ends and ramp in front. An important work by the most celebrated civic architect of the first half of the C20. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 413).

Listing NGR: ST5825372747

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379313

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 413

End of official listing