CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1283638
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283638.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:59:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Market Weston
National Grid Reference:
TL 99038 78105

Details

TL 97 NE MARKET WESTON CHURCH ROAD

1/55 Church of St. Mary 14.7.55 - II*

Parish Church. C14; restored 1846-7 by Cottingham, and again in 1888-9. Nave, chancel, south porch and west tower: mainly in rubble flint with plain freestone dressings; high C19 bases of black knapped flint to walls of nave and porch; nave, much restored, faced in kidney flints. Plaintiled roofs with high, plain parapets. Plain stone-faced buttresses to nave; diagonal buttresses to-east end of nave and chancel. High, 2-light windows to nave with flowing tracery: the north-east window is blocked, apart from the head; the north-west window has fragments of medieval glass in the head. 2-light C19 windows to chancel, with a form of cusped Y-tracery; 3-light east window with flowing tracery, and C19 stained glass in the head. All the windows in the church have diamond-leaded panes and some crown glass. C15 south porch: open timber roof with ovolo-moulded main beam; south face with rectangular flushwork panels of black knapped flint; a canopied niche above the doorway, and a trefoil-headed canopied niche to each side. The south door has reused iron fittings, including C17 hinges, and a canopied niche above with a reinstated figure of the Virgin and Child. Tower in 5 stages, with 2 intermediate string-courses and a plain parapet of black knapped flint. Stair turret on the south side, with a conical, stone-tiled roof. A 2-light window with curvilinear tracery to each face of the top stage. The line of a higher, earlier roof can be seen on the east face. Victorianised interior to nave and chancel, all fittings dating from one or other of the C19 restorations. A very plain double hammerbeam roof to nave, the upper hammerbeams supporting arched braces which meet in a central pendant below the collar. Simple pierced and dentilled cornice. Some ovolo-moulding to main timbers. The roof, said to be C19, could well be C17, and the 6-bay single-hammerbeam roof to the nave, in similar style, could be of the same date, reused. Hanoverian arms, painted and framed, on the north wall of nave.

Listing NGR: TL9903878105

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284408
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/05451/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Raymond Warren. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].