CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1283741
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283741.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:08:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Livermere
National Grid Reference:
TL 88517 71384

Details

TL87 SE GT. LIVERMERE CHURCH ROAD

2/36 Church of St. Peter

14.7.55 - I

Parish church. C13 and later. In rubble flint, still partly covered in old render, Reed thatch on nave, plaintiles with ornate ridge on chancel. The nave has diagonal buttresses at the west end, single angle buttresses on the east. 3 2-light windows with reticulated tracery on north and south sides. Blocked north doorway with rebuilt arch, probably C17: rounded, with hollow moulding. The chancel has single-light low-side windows to north and south walls, and on the south side a plain C13 priest's door, one blocked C13 lancet window, and a 3-light window with intersecting tracery. The 3-light east window, C19 restored, in Decorated style similar to the nave windows, has a blocked foliated circular window in a square surround above. To the north of the chancel, a castellated early C19 vestry, in black knapped flint with white brick dressings, has 3-light round-headed windows with intersecting Gothic tracery. Truncated west tower in 3 stages, with a weatherboarded top and pyramid roof. Diagonal buttresses on west. South porch with gabled pantiled roof, crenellated along the sides. Diagonal buttresses. 2 2-light windows, restored 1983. Open timber roof, 3 bays, arch braced. C13 south doorway. Inside the nave there are remains of medieval wall-paintings on the north and south walls, and an elaborate canopied and traceried niche in the north wall which housed the shrine of Our Lady of Pity. Royal Arms, carved in high relief, over the north door. Early C20 benches, but 6 Jacobean benches with ends in fleur-de-lys form at the back. An octagonal late C14 front has traceried panels on a plain base. Large double doors to base of tower with baroque mouldings and carving, and a fine 3-decker pulpit with raised fielded panels and acanthus foliage of the same date, circa 1700. A piscina at the east end of the south wall, with cusped ogee head and a tiny niche beside it. Fine screen, with traces of gilding and colour, cusped ogee heads to broad single light divisions, crocketed spirelets. The blocked doorway to the rood stair beside the pulpit. Roof timbers replaced in late C20. The chancel roof, uncovered during restoration in the 1960's, is very fine: king post trusses with arched braces to the tie-beams extending down the walls, and terminating in coronated capitals. 2 rows of moulded butt purlins. Pierced and carved cornice with battlemented ornament at top and bottom. Along the south wall is the remains of a band of painted medieval decoration. On each side of the east window is a long cusped and crocketed niche. The southern low side window retains its wooden shutter. Fine early C18 3-sided altar rails with iron-twist balusters. 3 early C17 benches, one with 'WM 1601' carved on the end, and a high-backed settle, incorporating a C15 poppy-head bench-end.

Listing NGR: TL8851771384

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284223
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14165/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dan Bloom. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].