CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1287940
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, A340

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287940.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:25:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, A340

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tidmarsh
National Grid Reference:
SU 63482 74552

Details

SU 67 SW TIDMARSH A340 (east side)

4/11 Church Of St. Laurence 14.4.67 G.V. I

Church. C12 with circa 1220 apse, restored with additions in late C19. Rendered with stone dressings. Tile roofs with parapeted nave roof to east. Shingled bellcote on ridge to east with string and shingled pyramidal cap with lead finial and weathervane. 2-light ogee-headed louvred opening on each face with small quatrefoil below. Nave, polygonal apse, south porch and north vestry. Nave; south side: 2 central 2-light C19 windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops, and C13 lancet to right with chamfered reveals. C12 doorway to left with 2 orders of decoration including chevron and chain, and head of Christ at apex. C19 boarded door. C19 gabled south porch of red brick with tile roof, wavey edged barge boards, and C20 wrought iron gates. North side: C13 lancet to left with chamfered reveals, and 2 central 2-light C19 windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops. West end: diagonal buttresses and plinth. C19 triple stepped lancets with cill string and drip mould. Apse: 5 sides with plinth, string, cill string and lancet on each face with chamfered reveals. Vestry: C19. Flint with stone dressings, plinth and lean-to tile roof. Lancet to east and 2-light window to north. Interior: nave: C19 roof of 5 bays with braced collars and crown posts with collar purlin. Timber framing under bellcote to west with carving by C19 vicar's wife. C13 wall paintings in reveals of north and south lancets. Apse: clustered shafts with moulded bases and stiff leaf capitals. Plaster vault with moulded ribs and carved boss. Sedile to north and shelf to south. Chamfered apse arch with impost mouldings, and hoodmoulds with carved stops. Fittings include C18 communion rail with twisted balusters and fluted Doric balusters at intervals, restored C15 octagonal wooden pulpit with traceried panels, and re-cut C12 font with intersecting arcade. Monuments include brass to Margaret Woode of 1499, brass to Henry Leynham of 1517, and tablet to Robert Hopkins of 1834 by Whitelaw with draped urn. This church is especially interesting for its C12 south doorway and very rare C13 polygonal apse. V.C.H. (Berks), Vol.3, pp.435-437; B.O.E, Berkshire, p.241.

Listing NGR: SU6348474553

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400902
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 435-437
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 241

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03950/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].