GAYNES HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1288478
Date first listed:
28-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
GAYNES HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288478.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:24:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
GAYNES HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Perry
National Grid Reference:
TL 14663 66223

Details

TL 16 NW PERRY HIGH STREET, WEST PERRY

(SOUTH SIDE) 5/8 GAYNES FALL

GV II*

c 1800 country house by George Byfield (c 1765-1813) for Sir James Duberly, now a borstal. Gault brick originally plaster rendered with stone dressings to plinth and parapet. Four parallel linked ranges each with hipped, slate roof of shallow pitch. Stone parapet, having centre panel to south front incised and with rose paterae ornament. Moulded main cornice. Of 3 storeys and 7 bays, including larger central bay. Cambered arches to recessed hung sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor has semi-circular headed arches to 6 recessed bays, each with one full length hung sash. Semi-circular headed arch to centre bay. Pedimented full length casement with glazing bars at first floor above semi-circular ionic portico surmounted by plain wrought iron balustrade. Double doorway in segmental headed arch flanked by pilasters with fluted console brackets to capitals. Glazed doors with side lights and fanlight. Interior. Oval vestibule with flanking round headed niches. Early C19 slender, bolection moulded panelling to ground floor rooms, hall and staircase. Moulded cornice and frieze. Hall top lit with open string staircase of 4 flights. Panelled shutters and 6 panelled doors. South-east room, ground floor, has early C19 white marble fireplace and doorcase with papier mache vine leaf surround. The foundations of the late Cl7 house on the site are visible in the cellars. A ground floor room to the north-east has a late C17 bolection moulded fireplace and a door-case with similar moulding. H Colvin: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p 257.

Listing NGR: TL1466366223

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399547
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 257

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].