NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1290544
Date first listed:
13-Mar-1995
Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 68, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290544.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:04:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 68, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47605 61858

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NE CHURCH STREET 1685-1/7/82 (North side) No.68 National Westminster Bank

GV II*

Banking hall and offices. 1870, with C20 addition. By Garlick, Park and Sykes (of Preston). For the Lancaster Banking Co. Sandstone ashlar with ashlar dressings, above a deep plinth of Carboniferous limestone. Slate roof with tall gable chimney stacks. Rectangular plan. In the Italian palazzo style. 2 storeys, over a tall basement which can be seen at the back because of the fall of the land, and 9 bays divided by pilasters on the 1st floor, with the doorway in the 6th. The facade is articulated by a prominent modillion cornice between the storeys and by Corinthian pilasters on the first floor, which carry a heavy entablature, with brackets carved with acanthus leaves in the frieze. The blocking course is interrupted by acroteria carved with palmettes above the pilasters and is raised at the corners. Above the plinth the ground floor has banded rustication and there is a moulded band at the impost level of the windows, which have plain reveals and keystones carved with heads. The windows of the first floor have moulded architraves and recessed sills, below which there is a panel of vermiculation. The 5th and 7th bays contain panels carved with bas-reliefs of the arms of Lancaster and of Lancashire, set in florid scrollwork. The doorway projects strongly, with a pediment which continues the ground-floor cornice and is carried on free-standing Tuscan columns of polished pink granite, mounted on the plinth; the frieze bears the inscription 'BANK'. The bays to the right and left of the doorway are blind. To the left a single-storey 3-bay extension, in early C20 classical style. INTERIOR: large banking hall has ceiling supported on 4 free-standing Corinthian columns and is divided into compartments with modillion cornices. In the central compartment is a glazed lantern. HISTORY: the Lancaster Banking Company was one of the first joint-stock banks in the country, established in 1826 following the collapse of 2 other local banks.

Listing NGR: SD4762661857

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383114
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03879/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].