CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1293405
Date first listed:
18-May-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293405.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:39:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Yardley Gobion
National Grid Reference:
SP 76518 44752

Details

YARDLEY GOBION HIGH STREET SP7643 (South side) 14/154 Church of St. Leonard

GV II

Church. Built 1864 by E.F. Law at the expense of the 6th Duke of Grafton. Coursed squared rock-faced limestone, limestone dressings and slate roofs. Chancel, vestry, nave and north porch. Geometrical and Decorated styles. Chancel has 3-light east window with Geometrical-style tracery and hood mould and a one-light window to north and south with trefoil to head. Priest's door to north with continuous hollow chamfer and pointed trefoil head innermost, shafts with foliage capitals and pointed arch outermost and hood mould. Small vestry to south with cat-slide roof and 2-light window to south with rectangular chamfered stone surround. 3-bay nave has 2-light Decorated-style windows to north and south and 3-light window to west end with Geometrical-style tracery and hood mould. North door has shafts with foliage capitals in porch with similar doorway and small 4-light windows to east and west sides. Bell-cote to east gable of nave. Diagonal offset buttresses to chancel, off-set buttresses to west end of nave and between bays. Chamfered plinth, overhanging eaves and stone-coped gables with kneelers. Interior: windows have alternate red and blue bricks to heads. Elaborate carved foliage corbels to chancel arch and converted wall-mounted oil lamps to nave. Oak reredos of 1904. Stain glass window of 1865 to memory of Lady Charles Fitzroy, stain-glass east window of 1903 of Munich glass. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p471; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire: 1936)

Listing NGR: SP7651844752

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235390
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 471
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1936)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01484/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Robert Skears. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].